Replacement for Gatorade G2 powder

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

annirak

Veteran
I'm signed up for a 100 mile sportive next weekend. As I was getting my gear in order, I discovered that I can't buy Gatorade G2 powder in the UK!

What I liked about the G2 powder is that it's an electrolyte/carb mix. As long as I keep drinking the G2, I don't need to worry about gels.

What do you use for hydration & energy on long rides?

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Any isotonic drink will do if you like the taste, they've all got much the same ingredients. High5 and Torq Energy both work for me http://www.wiggle.co.uk/high5-energy-source-plus-22kg/ bought one of these a few weeks back, it'll last me all year.

Nunn, rehydrate tablets, new to me but I'm a fan. Do not leave that residue in your mouth like other tabs seem to. They also do not contain artificial sweeteners which might explain their very clean taste. For a long ride I add in a couple of bananas and a sachet of easy squeeze baby food.

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
Nunn, rehydrate tablets, new to me but I'm a fan. Do not leave that residue in your mouth like other tabs seem to. They also do not contain artificial sweeteners which might explain their very clean taste. For a long ride I add in a couple of bananas and a sachet of easy squeeze baby food.
bananas in the back pocket or we talking smoothie in the bottle ?? Sorry just how I`m reading it and also interested in fueling for long rides.

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
Lucozade sport, non fizzy.
Or that blue stuff, think it's called Powerade?
6.4g carbohydrate per bottle. Would need 10 bottles to get anywhere near 60g carbs per/hr :smile:

Powerade has 21g, but you would still need 3 per hr

No carb content in Nuun

@annirak High5 Torq, CNP et all are not bad products. Most available in sachets so easier to carry.

Last edited:

Mrs M

Guru
Some Tesco stores sell Gatorade.

OP
OP
annirak

annirak

Veteran
Lucozade sport, non fizzy.
Or that blue stuff, think it's called Powerade?
I used to swear by Powerade Iceberry Blast, in part because it had no dye. Then they stopped making it. I don't like the blue stuff as much.

I'm looking for powders specifically because I can't practically carry enough premixed for a 100 mile ride. Sachets are ideal.

Big Dave laaa

Biking Ninja
SIS GO Energy might be suitable for your needs 47 grams of carbs/ 50g serving. I used it for 1st time yesterday on a 50 miler and was impressed. Didn't use any gels or take on any food except a couple of jelly babies and then just because I like them.

OP
OP
annirak

annirak

Veteran
I've used SIS gels before to good effect. I picked up a SIS endurance pack, which has a few sachets in it, so I guess I'll see how those do.

zacklaws

Guru
Nuun tablets are a waste of money for what they are, far too expensive for a few basic ingredients that you can buy in a supermarket or chemists.

Sodium Carbonate......Washing Soda
Potassium Bicarbonate...Cheap as chips of Ebay
Calcium Carbonate.........Chalk
Magnesium Sulphate.....Epsom Salts....Bath Salts
Vitamin C............Vitamin Tablet or powder form
Vitamin B2 .........Vitamin Tablets

All of the ingredients are readily sourced of Ebay and for a bit more than the price of what you would pay for a small tube of 12 Nuun tablets you can make up the equivalent of 600 tablets in powder form and still have plenty of ingredients to make lots more. I've mentioned this to other riders and they say it won't be the same because it will no fizz ???????????? but it does its just a reaction with the vitamin C powder and the other ingredients. All you need is a small jewelers weighing scale off Ebay and the formula is on the Nuun website. I must have saved a fortune over the years.

Top Bottom