1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Replacement toner cartridges...where from?

Discussion in 'CycleChat Cafe' started by Maz, 5 Feb 2008.

1. Maz

Maz Guru

Hi
    I have a HP Laserjet 5 at home. Bought it off ebay 2nd hand a few years ago. The cartridge now needs replacing (it's leaking toner - very messy).

Can anyone suggest where to buy replacement toner cartidges? Hopefully I can find a compatible generic one, rather than a pricey HP one.

Cheers.

2. Smokin Joe

Smokin Joe Legendary Member

Type " hp toner cartridge" into google and you will get loads of suppliers up.

3. Lord of the Teapot

Lord of the Teapot New Member

Good 'ol Google

4. OP
    OP
    Maz

Maz Guru

Yeah, man, I know you can google. Anyone got any 1st hand experience of buying cartridges? recommendations, good service etc.

5. Pete

Pete Guest

I bought some refilled toner cartridges (for a Brother) from 999inks.co.uk recently. Fairly cheap, seem to be OK, though I haven't actually installed one yet. They first of all shipped me a pack of art paper, which wasn't what I ordered at all, but when I sent them a mildly shirty E-mail, they immediately put the correct order in the post for me. And they haven't asked for the paper back. ;)

6. OP
    OP
    Maz

Maz Guru

Thanks for the info, Pete. I'll check them out.

7. Oldlegs

Oldlegs Frogs are people too.

8. Mister Paul

Mister Paul Honky

Staples.

I'm always wary of cheap, internet cartridges. Since my brother in law wrecked a printer with one.

9. alecstilleyedye

alecstilleyedye nothing in moderation Staff Member

10. radger

radger Über Member

My experience is thus: We used to use remanufactured cartridges from imagejet- they were almost as good as the HP originals.
    I am trying desperately to recall the brand name of the other remanufactured ones we tried, which were utter sh*te and hardly lasted at all - they come in a red box and the name begins with a K. Avoid if possible
    The imagejet ones were fine for several months in an office of 15 (although on two printers) with an unhealthy lust for hard copies

11. OP
    OP
    Maz

Maz Guru

Cheers, Alecs...I just placed my order with them. The deal-clincher was I liked the company logo.
    The non-HP toner was a third of the cost of an original.

12. OP
    OP
    Maz

Maz Guru

Thanks for recommending them. My toner cartridge arrived promptly and seems to work fine. Fingers crossed it'll still be like that after x'1000 copies.
    Cheers
    Maz

13. fossyant

fossyant Ride It Like You Stole It!

I've got a Laserjet 5 as well - blooming great work horses - again bought it off ebay. I got an original HP toner for about £25 off ebay..

Our Epson inkjet has just given up - bloody thing won't paper feed correctly and as sods law...I've got stacks of compatible ink for it.... had it in bits, checked pickups argh !!!

Well back to my trusty Deskjet 895 - I'll dig it out of the cupboard but just need new inks for it - might give cartridgemonkey a try..!

14. OP
    OP
    Maz

Maz Guru

I thought you were an only-child. Wahay!! Boom-boom!