Replacement Wheel Suggestions.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

VeganWheels

Been trying to pick my way around all the obvious online sites looking for a slight wheel upgrade.

700c ,Rim Brake ,Tubeless or clincher.

Currently riding on the standard factory fit Giant PR2 rims.

Do not want to go mad cost wise but but feel like they need upgrading to something.slightly more assured,lighter,more aerodynamic etc.

Some of the online sights can be a bit tough to pick through when you are not the most over techy cyclist.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
@VeganWheels - I'm presuming "Do want to go mad cost wise" actually is "Don't want to go mad cost wise" :okay: It'll depend on a few things; carbon or aluminium? And budget?

I'd have suggested Superstar Components as their wheels are good - registering on their website for their newsletter lets you know when a discount's up. We've four pairs of their lightweight 24/30mm wheels and they've been excellent including for winter use.

Prime from Wiggle have a decent reputation as the next step up. My son's got a pair of their 'Black' 38mm carbon wheels as his 'climbing' set. That's £350-600 unless you want their top end 'Black' range.

Beyond that we've bought some 50mm hand-made wheels from Zed near Barnsley as my son's race wheels. They're good. Similarly one of my son's sponsors is NR6 Cycles who have wheels around that price point. These are £650-1000.

Others will suggest Hunt or Scribe for wheels - they've decent reputations but we've no experience of either.

Last edited:
OP
OP
VeganWheels

VeganWheels

@VeganWheels - I'm presuming "Do want to go mad cost wise" actually is "Don't want to go mad cost wise" :okay: It'll depend on a few things; carbon or aluminium? And budget?

I'd have suggested Superstar Components as their wheels are good - registering on their website for their newsletter lets you know when a discount's up. We've four pairs of their lightweight 24/30mm wheels and they've been excellent including for winter use.

Prime from Wiggle have a decent reputation as the next step up. My son's got a pair of their 'Black' 38mm carbon wheels as his 'climbing' set. That's £350-600 unless you want their top end 'Black' range.

Beyond that we've bought some 50mm hand-made wheels from Zed near Barnsley as my son's race wheels. They're good. Similarly one of my son's sponsors is NR6 Cycles who have wheels around that price point. These are £650-1000.

Others will suggest Hunt or Scribe for wheels - they've decent reputations but we've no experience of either.
Yes sorry,'Do NOT' thank you for the advice

Last edited:

vickster

Legendary Member
Depending on your weight, number of spokes might be a consideration. Hand built is always worth a look, a company like DCR will advise on what’s suitable

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I bought some wheels from Malcolm at The Cycle Clinic recently. He was very helpful because I didn't really know what I wanted. So I had an email convo with him discussing pros and cons and he explained some things that I was being a bit thick about. https://thecycleclinic.co.uk/

There's also Spa I've got wheels from them in the past - they tend to be quite focused on touring wheels/dynohubs that kind of thing but it's worth at least browsing their website. https://spacycles.co.uk/

Both of those are handbuilt

Don't expect any niceties or "have a nice day" from either of those. They are both a bit on the blunt side, but if you ask a question of either you will get an answer.

OP
OP
VeganWheels

VeganWheels

I bought some wheels from Malcolm at The Cycle Clinic recently. He was very helpful because I didn't really know what I wanted. So I had an email convo with him discussing pros and cons and he explained some things that I was being a bit thick about. https://thecycleclinic.co.uk/

There's also Spa I've got wheels from them in the past - they tend to be quite focused on touring wheels/dynohubs that kind of thing but it's worth at least browsing their website. https://spacycles.co.uk/

Both of those are handbuilt

Don't expect any niceties or "have a nice day" from either of those. They are both a bit on the blunt side, but if you ask a question of either you will get an answer.
Thank you.I wouldn't even know what dyno hubs are ,about to Google it :smile:

T4tomo

Legendary Member
if you want to go completely off the shelf, then Fulcrum Racing 5 LG's are a decent wheelset, but wiggle has them up at £300 a pop, when they used to be nearer £200. However, for £300 I'd be looking at handbuilt from Superstar or DCR.

if you want better than stock Giant wheel for not too much - Shimano RS100's at not too much over £100 are bomb proof and better than what you have, a bit lighter and smoother running etc.

DCLane

@T4tomo - Fulcrum 5 / 5 LG are fine; both my son and I have them on our winter commuter/cross bikes. But they're a bit basic for the price. Superstar's are lighter and seem to handle better.

Spa Cycles are ... erm ... interesting to deal with. They're even more fun to attempt to talk to in their shop. However, they absolutely know what they're talking about.

vickster

Legendary Member
@T4tomo - Fulcrum 5 / 5 LG are fine; both my son and I have them on our winter commuter/cross bikes. But they're a bit basic for the price. Superstar's are lighter and seem to handle better.

Spa Cycles are ... erm ... interesting to deal with. They're even more fun to attempt to talk to in their shop. However, they absolutely know what they're talking about.
They were ok with me despite me being a very Southern sounding woman...but then I did order a 2.5k bike :biggrin:

I don't think Fulcrums are great if you are on the heavier side and riding rough road surfaces (I have on my carbon and have needed to have them trued despite very low mileage). Nice and clickety though :biggrin:

DCLane

They were ok with me despite me being a very Southern sounding woman...but then I did order a 2.5k bike :biggrin:

I don't think Fulcrums are great if you are on the heavier side and riding rough road surfaces (I have on my carbon and have needed to have them trued despite very low mileage)

They're fine. I just didn't need 30 minutes of them talking about the merits of one type of flat spoke over another. I just wanted a spoke.

But, if I needed to talk to someone about wheels it'd be them or Zed. It's just Zed's workshop has a nicer view than a Harrogate industrial estate. My son's sponsor NR6 do have nice carbon wheels though ...

Sidney B

I've just done exactly the same upgrade - and went with some Mason x Hunt 4 Season Disc wheelset. Very happy, 370 quid and can definitely feel the difference on the climbs.

Didn't realise how hefty the PR2 wheels were until I swapped them out!

Top Bottom