Replacement Wheel Suggestions.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Just a side note to my comments above about the Cycle Clinic.

I've just experienced the second broken spoke in the rear wheel I got from the Cycle Clinic. That's in about 5,000 km which isn't really very far. I've never experienced a broken spoke before. Could just be bad luck but I'm a vaguely miffed. Just slightly unsettled. Of course it could be my fault for getting a 32 spoke rear when I have normally ridden 36. (I weigh 90kg, it's a heavy-ish bike plus stuff so all up weight is probably 110kg)

Time to put a spare on the back and take the wheel down the shop (again). Fortunately I have a spare fitted with tyre ready from last time.

May be time for a new back wheel. Which, of course, won't match the front and people will point at me and laugh (even more than they already do).

Last edited:

vickster

Legendary Member
Just a side note to my comments above about the Cycle Clinic.

I've just experienced the second broken spoke in the rear wheel I got from the Cycle Clinic. That's in about 5,000 km which isn't really very far. I've never experienced a broken spoke before. Could just be bad luck but I'm a vaguely miffed. Just slightly unsettled. Of course it could be my fault for getting a 32 spoke rear when I have normally ridden 36. (I weigh 90kg, it's a heavy-ish bike plus stuff so all up weight is probably 110kg)

Time to put a spare on the back and take the wheel down the shop (again). Fortunately I have a spare fitted with tyre ready from last time.

May be time for a new back wheel. Which, of course, won't match the front and people will point at me and laugh (even more than they already do).

Have you spoken to Cycle Clinic, maybe they can check it over and rebuild the wheel for you?

vickster

Legendary Member
Nope, Having already got the first spoke replaced by my LBS (15 mins walk vs boxing wheel up and posting). So it's probably too late for that.

I'd still get in touch and ask, but spokes do go. I actually think 5000km for a spoke isn't bad on UK roads!

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I'd still get in touch and ask, but spokes do go. I actually think 5000km for a spoke isn't bad on UK roads!

Two spokes in 5000km actually. In relatively quick succession. (one at about 4,000 one at about 5,000. The first two broken spokes I've ever had.

I think I'm tempted to put it down to experience and not use 32 spoke rear wheels again.

Last edited:

vickster

Legendary Member
Two spokes in 5000km actually. In relatively quick succession. (one at about 4,000 one at about 5,000. The first two broken spokes I've ever had.

I think I'm tempted to put it down to experience and not use 32 spoke rear wheels again.

What has the LBS said about the integrity of the wheel? Can they rebuild it?

vickster

Legendary Member
I said "please replace this broken spoke" they said "ok".

My LBS has said in the past that if more than one spoke goes, to have the wheel checked and potentially rebuilt (presumably they trued the wheel too for you?)

T4tomo

Legendary Member
I took some 35 year old wheels with a broken spoke and a dented rim to a wheel builder. He said I think you've had your money's worth from these sir, I suggest I lace new rims with new spokes onto those fine hubs.

Hicky

Guru
Over rated wheels, spent £650.00 on a set, My Mavics are so much nicer. Now use the DCR as winter wheels, never again will i go Hand built.

What hand built do give you(if bought locally) is a relationship and a little investment if something goes wrong with your LBS. I've had a pair of handbuilts pop a spoke a couple of times and taken the wheel to the builder....cost of fixing and replacing said spoke, 50p each time, done on the day!
Eventually when they gave up the ghost, he rebuilt the hubs(which I've serviced) onto new rims using new spokes for discount price, again if they fail I'll expect the same service.
Granted buying off t'internet doesn't give you that relationship but it's worth checking out.

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
What hand built do give you(if bought locally) is a relationship and a little investment if something goes wrong with your LBS. I've had a pair of handbuilts pop a spoke a couple of times and taken the wheel to the builder....cost of fixing and replacing said spoke, 50p each time, done on the day!
Eventually when they gave up the ghost, he rebuilt the hubs(which I've serviced) onto new rims using new spokes for discount price, again if they fail I'll expect the same service.
Granted buying off t'internet doesn't give you that relationship but it's worth checking out.

They did sort out a problem, but was never happy with the wheels from DCR. My Mavics just keep rolling on.

Top Bottom