Replacement Wheel Suggestions.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

JoeyB

Go on, tilt your head!
I've just done exactly the same upgrade - and went with some Mason x Hunt 4 Season Disc wheelset. Very happy, 370 quid and can definitely feel the difference on the climbs.

Didn't realise how hefty the PR2 wheels were until I swapped them out!

I put the same wheels on my winter hack a couple years back. Great wheels. I have some carbon Hunt wheels turning up this week or next, they were meant to be going on a new summer build but they might find their way onto current bike as it will be rude for them to sit around doing nothing!

T4tomo

Legendary Member
@T4tomo - Fulcrum 5 / 5 LG are fine; both my son and I have them on our winter commuter/cross bikes. But they're a bit basic for the price. Superstar's are lighter and seem to handle better.
I've had them on my Bianchi for past 6 years and they run fine and true, my mate bought a pair to upgrade his stock Giant wheels 3or4 years or so ago for under £200, and at that price they were good vfm, but surprised to see price has shot up, hence my caveat above..

Superstars are in my eyeline for when I need /want to make a frivolous purchase and donate my Fulcrums to the OH's stock Bontrager's, so good to know you rate them.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Superstars are in my eyeline for when I need /want to make a frivolous purchase and donate my Fulcrums to the OH's stock Bontrager's, so good to know you rate them.

We picked up our sets when they had an offer on; £100 and then £80 for 'marked' sets of wheels. On three of the sets we found a tiny scratch and on the fourth we couldn't see anything. They were in red (3) and white (1) rims/hubs though.

My 'frivolous' wheel purchase was a set of Veltec Speed 42 wheels. A bit on the heavy side, but they have the word "SPEED" on the rim in very un-Germanic big letters. My son's got one of their Speed 6.0 carbon front wheels on his TT bike. The word 'speed' and me seem a little incongruous. Oh, and they're now difficult to get in the UK - but available from Germany for about £340 but look like this (not my bike):

speed-al-jpg.jpg

Last edited:

vickster

Legendary Member
I've just done exactly the same upgrade - and went with some Mason x Hunt 4 Season Disc wheelset. Very happy, 370 quid and can definitely feel the difference on the climbs.

OP has rim brakes however...

Kernow_T

Über Member
Give us a budget mate and we'll steer you in the right direction. Don't expect any wheels to suddenly propel you to UCI Tour level and of course to a point, as you go up in price there's an ever diminishing increase in improvement. There's definitely a sweet spot where you feel/get the most improvement for your money but there are so many factors. Ive got a brand new set of RS11 for £100+postage which I'm sure many on here will say is very reasonable and an upgrade of sorts else if you're c£300 type area then Zondas/Fulcrum 3 or some decent handbuilts are achievable new att hat price (you may have to wait for a sale price but every few weeks someone has them around that mark). Personally, if you get a chance for some decent hand built that someone had built for £450 quid or so and have not done many miles and they want £180-£200 for i'd certainly consider that.

Last edited:

vickster

Legendary Member
Add your weight too as some wheels have a specified limit for rider + bike (for warranty purposes) which you may want to consider

OP
OP
VeganWheels

VeganWheels

So I should notice a benefit for the ££ spent,they PR"'s feel heavy & clunky if that makes sense,do a lot of climbing as I live in hilly area.

Kernow_T

Über Member
You'd certainly feel a tangible benefit and when you add that to my 'wow, my new wheels are so fast' placebo you'll be laughing. Servicing and ensuring wheels are well maintained and true are as important.... you'd likely notice a big difference if you spent £200 on a decent set of light use used wheels provided they were well shod......for the money, potentially, new tyres will make a bigger difference in bang for your buck terms. Obviously there's a premium and naturally advantages of buying new BUT £150-£200 on some VGC Zondas/Fulcrum 3 or nice handbuilts plus some new tyres will make a fair difference I suspect

OP
OP
VeganWheels

VeganWheels

Give us a budget mate and we'll steer you in the right direction. Don't expect any wheels to suddenly propel you to UCI Tour level and of course to a point, as you go up in price there's an ever diminishing increase in improvement. There's definitely a sweet spot where you feel/get the most improvement for your money but there are so many factors. Ive got a set of RS11 for £100+postage which I'm sure many on here will say is very reasonable and an upgrade of sorts else if you're c£300 type area then Zondas/Fulcrum 3 or some decent handbuilts are achievable new att hat price (you may have to wait for a sale price but every few weeks someone has them around that mark). Personally, if you get a chance for some decent hand built that someone had built for £450 quid or so and have not done many miles and they want £180-£200 for i'd certainly consider that.
Thanks for taking the time to reply mate.

Don't really want to go above £500/£600,if I can avoid it & I'm certainly not expecting life changing differences :smile:
Had it my mind that maybe I needed to go carbon,now maybe not so hell bent on it.
It just feels like the one part of the bike set up that feels clunky & in need of bit more refinement.
Through strange circumstance, I purchased a TCR 2 & then ended up with TCR Advanced Pro Frame with my running gear transplanted on to it.

I ride in a hilly area with plenty of climbs & always uneven undulating road surfaces.

OP
OP
VeganWheels

VeganWheels

You'd certainly feel a tangible benefit and when you add that to my 'wow, my new wheels are so fast' placebo you'll be laughing. Servicing and ensuring wheels are well maintained and true are as important.... you'd likely notice a big difference if you spent £200 on a decent set of light use used wheels provided they were well shod......for the money, potentially, new tyres will make a bigger difference in bang for your buck terms. Obviously there's a premium and naturally advantages of buying new BUT £150-£200 on some VGC Zondas/Fulcrum 3 or nice handbuilts plus some new tyres will make a fair difference I suspect

Recent bought new tyres Schwable 1's

Kernow_T

Über Member
Thanks for taking the time to reply mate.

Don't really want to go above £500/£600,if I can avoid it & I'm certainly not expecting life changing differences :smile:
Had it my mind that maybe I needed to go carbon,now maybe not so hell bent on it.
It just feels like the one part of the bike set up that feels clunky & in need of bit more refinement.
Through strange circumstance, I purchased a TCR 2 & then ended up with TCR Advanced Pro Frame with my running gear transplanted on to it.

I ride in a hilly area with plenty of climbs & always uneven undulating road surfaces.
I live in Cornwall - only up and down and lots of potholes....if you're towards the heavier cyclist size (aka quite normal 'normal' person size) durability is really important.....better to have a bombproof, perfectly (for all intents and purposes) true set of buttery smooth 1700g wheels than a set of 1500g wheels that are always a touch out of true and require time/money to service. The Primes @DCLane mentioned are very good wheels for the money though there's cheaper options possibly available which will give you similar improvement especially if climbing and it's possibly strong crosswinds mean deep(ish) section are actually not ideal.

Top Bottom