Replacing cassette

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Zippy

I removed my cassette to clean and on replacing it I have a spacer ring I cannot remember where it goes.

I have replaced in this order: cassette, last sprocket, spacer, locking ring; but this doesn't look right and without the derraileur tensioned the chain falls off the smallest sprocket.

Could it be that the order should be: spacer, cassette, last sprocket, locking ring? This would shunt the whole index further out fromt he hub by the spacer's width (about 4mm) abd the chain would line up with the last sprocket.

I seem to remember the locking ring snugged down on the last (loose) sprocket rather than onto this smooth spacing ring but I know it was on there somewhere!

Note to self - next time I take something to pieces I write down the order or keep them all on a string!

Any ideas?:biggrin:

lukesdad

should be block spacer sprocket the other sprockets should be cast with correct spacings.

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
if all the sprockets are individual, there should be a spacer between each apart from the smallest, which has one built in. the largest sprocket goes on first.

if the main part of the cluster is cast together, put that on first followed by a spacer between each as above.

OP
OP
Z

Zippy

Thanks - this is a seven speed cassette with 6 fused sprockets and 1 smallest sprocket with built in spacer and a locking ring.

There is also a smooth spacer and I know it came off the hub, but can't remember where in order. I am starting to think it went on first before the block of sprockets.

I have it between the last sprocket and the locking ring at the moment but then what's the point of the spacer I ask myself? Can't be right.

However, if it were on first it would shift the last sprocket in line with the slackest line up with the derraileur so that's why I think it is there to shove the indexing over a bit.

Have a look below - the spacer is the grey shiny piece to the right of the last sprocket at the moment but I am thinking it should go first; between the wheel and the cassette.

OP
OP
Z

Zippy

Thanks guys. Will1985 - I had the same ureka moment tonight when I stared at it.

Tomorrow's project then is to rebuild the wheel and set up my indexing. Oh, well - it'll be raining so I need an indoor job.

Was doing a similar job myself this morning - before it started to p*ss it down!

If the seven speed cassette has three small bolts proud at the rear, then make sure the spacers cut-outs line up with these [if no then it doesn't matter!]

The free-wheel hub will be 'keyed' in such a way so the cassette parts will only logically fit in the correct orientation.

The back of the locking ring is notched, this should match with the last cogs notches - nip down to a torque of 40NM [or whatever it says on ring, if you are like me and have no torque wrench - just guess, but it is fairly tight.]

OP
OP
Z

Zippy

Thank you everyone. As was suggested, the spacer needed to be at the hub end before the cassette. The lbs must have done this without telling me last time a new wheel and cassette were swapped out, but to be fair I wasn't the kind who would or could do his own maintenance at the time so they probably didn't thik to tell me.

Times have moved on thanks to you folks on Cycle Chat to be honest so thank you.

Top Bottom