Replacing Headset Bearings - Help!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dhd.evans

Veteran
The bearings in my forks and headset are probably smooshed. I'm getting creaking during riding and when out of the saddle a distinct 'knock-knock' when i rock the handlebars.

Bike is a B'Twin Ultra 700 AF and from here reckons:

"The steering uses long-life, sealed bearings, with a 1⅛" diameter at the top and 1¼" at the bottom."

Where in the buggery would i get these from?

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
You're in luck
I have a Btwin Ultra 700 CF (so the same as yours except carbon rather than aluminium)
I just replaced the headset bearings. These guys were really helpful

http://www.airebearings.co.uk/

If you call them they will talk you through the process of selecting the right bearing

If you're still stuck DM me and I'll check back what I bought from them

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
This is what I bought....but you need to check

Pioneer

Regular
You should always clean everything when replacing the headset bearings including the cups top and bottom that house the bearings and yes you should use some grease, it would be worth your while going to the nearest motorfactors and buying “ copper grease “ as it’s a far better quality than anything “ Halfords” ( a toy shop) would sell.
You could look at Kelly’s bike parts
( FHS-10) will be a complete headset with new cups, washers , bearings and new nuts for the bearings casing and handlebar stem.
go easy when doing the work as I see many a mess after people run the threads on something after over tightening the head stock.
Nice and easy 👍

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
Copper grease is not for bearings. It is an assembly/unscrewing compound for parts that don't move in use.

OP
OP
dhd.evans

dhd.evans

Veteran
For all those Googling out there: https://www.decathlon.co.uk/semi-built-in-11-8-headset-id_8523750.html# is the right replacement kit, but Decathlon seem to be out of them.

Aire Velo Bearings recommended "[measuring] the inner dimension, outer dimension and height of the bearings (even if it's only by ruler) and a couple of pictures. Also, bike model, year and any other info (so likely the Decathlon link you found) so Matt (Matt@airebearings.co.uk) can have a dig and find the right bearings. The other bearings can be sent back as well for a replace and/or refund."

So, guess what i'll be doing this weekend!

OP
OP
dhd.evans

dhd.evans

Veteran
Final update: my best mates bird is from Belfast and Decathlon Belfast seem to have them in stock. She'll pick one up on Wednesday and send it over.

What. A. Palaver.

yes it is - hence the superiority of loose ball bearing headsets - the balls can always be put in a clip if this is too much of a fag, though loose is better. I had horrendous problems once sourcing cartridge bearings for a dahon headset which trashed itself.
Glad you sorted it.

Top Bottom