Replacing my folder(s) thoughts

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Kell

Veteran
I do have a Joey and like it. The OP does not want to commute. But given his criteria:

- not a British brand
- hub dynamo
- disc brakes
the Joey hits one (disc brakes) and misses two (it is a British brand and a having to remove the front wheel for folding is even more annoying with a hub dynamo).

I wasn't aware that any British bike was off the table. I took 'Don't mention the B word' to mean don't mention Brompton. Not British.

As the Joey uses much more 'regular' componentry, I thought it was worthy of consideration.

Drago

Legendary Member
I took it to mean buttocks.

berlinonaut

Veteran
Maybe will give Bike Friday another look. Used to own one, they don't fold but rather come apart for travel. Takes 20+ minutes to assemble a Bike Friday, turns out I don't have that kind of patience at the end of the day
I don't get this statement if you already had a bike Friday. The 20" ones have to come apart for packing in a suitcase, but can simply be folded quickly instead if no need for air travel or such that would require storage in a suitcase. Takes like 30s. Not a bike that I'd choose for daily commute (due to the existing alternatives) but the quick fold is reasonably compact, typically enough to store it in a boot or such or take it on a train.

I'm beginning to consider that a Brompton maybe, just maybe, is worth a look.

One thing is on my mind: If a Brompton is supplied with the U handlebars, can those be swapped for straight bars or do they need a different stem?

Drago

Legendary Member
Despite what people claim about me I do like them, and it rankles that they don't make one suitable for the husky gent (that and the rim brakes, which are a sick joke in 2023.)

Mind you, if they scaled it up and made the whole plot stiffer it would have given up its raison detre and completely negated its USP, so I can see where they're coming from. Doesn't mean I have to like it though :laugh:

12boy

Guru
In my experience folders are like shoes in the sense that you really want to try them on before buying. At one point I really wanted a Bike Friday but it just didn't feel right. I then tried a Brompton on a whim and it was perfect. I like my Xootr Swift and my minivelo but they just don't feel as good as the Brompton. Your experience may differ. Now that I think about it it is true for many other bikes as well.

berlinonaut

Veteran
One thing is on my mind: If a Brompton is supplied with the U handlebars, can those be swapped for straight bars or do they need a different stem?
Sounds like a simple question but it isn't. Of course you can swap the bars for straight ones and don't need a different stem. But you can also buy a Brompton with straight handlebars from factory. Also, each stem has a different (fixed) height and angle. So it really comes to the question what combination fits you best ergonomically and if this is one you can get from the factory or one you have to have to configure aftermarket.

To give you a bit of a kickstart three links to articles in the German Brompton forum. Being in Germany you may be able to understand German, else google translate may help:

Overview about the product portfolio of the different Brompton models: https://bromptonauten.cc/threads/ueberblick-die-aktuellen-brompton-produktlinien.787/
The basics and pitfalls of Brompton stems and handlebars: https://bromptonauten.cc/threads/basiswissen-kleine-lenker-und-vorbaukunde.182/
Overview about hub dynamos on the Brompton: https://bromptonauten.cc/threads/basiswissen-nabendynamos-am-brompton.210/

If you've gone through these you know probably more than most dealers do. :smile:

Currently rushing about trying to sort out the apartment for the week so I can leg it into Freiburg and ask at the shop.

I didn't make it, mainly because I lost something, then forgot something, then remembered something else I had to do as well. Still, I got to ride through our beautiful countryside and old town about four times, so it wasn't too much of a chore...

Despite what people claim about me I do like them, and it rankles that they don't make one suitable for the husky gent (that and the rim brakes, which are a sick joke in 2023.)

Mind you, if they scaled it up and made the whole plot stiffer it would have given up its raison detre and completely negated its USP, so I can see where they're coming from. Doesn't mean I have to like it though :laugh:

Sometimes being a short*rse has advantages.

Sounds like a simple question but it isn't. Of course you can swap the bars for straight ones and don't need a different stem. But you can also buy a Brompton with straight handlebars from factory. Also, each stem has a different (fixed) height and angle. So it really comes to the question what combination fits you best ergonomically and if this is one you can get from the factory or one you have to have to configure aftermarket.

To give you a bit of a kickstart three links to articles in the German Brompton forum. Being in Germany you may be able to understand German, else google translate may help:

Overview about the product portfolio of the different Brompton models: https://bromptonauten.cc/threads/ueberblick-die-aktuellen-brompton-produktlinien.787/
The basics and pitfalls of Brompton stems and handlebars: https://bromptonauten.cc/threads/basiswissen-kleine-lenker-und-vorbaukunde.182/
Overview about hub dynamos on the Brompton: https://bromptonauten.cc/threads/basiswissen-nabendynamos-am-brompton.210/

If you've gone through these you know probably more than most dealers do. :smile:

Thanks; I'll go through those with care, from a quick reading I think the C-line is probably the best starting point. As I'm under 1m70 it looks like I may be able to comfortably ride using the flat handlebars as well. We shall see when I get a chance to visit Freiburg: one of the shops you suggested is a premium dealer and right by the station, so ten minutes away by train.

Last edited:
OP
OP
brommieinkorea

brommieinkorea

Interesting info everyone. Thanks . But I may have found the solution in Brompton's recent business dealings. Seems Brompton has been losing dealers here, probably because of the Amazon debacle and such. So I shall attempt to obtain tools, and maybe even a parts stash from said ex-dealers. And I'll just stick with the current fleet of Bromptons.

OP
OP
brommieinkorea

brommieinkorea

Bike Friday. The Ticket would be the only reason to consider. I had a Pocket Rocket. The ride is brilliant. The fold is worse than awful. When quick folded the thing becomes mechanical spaghetti and is absolutely unmanageable.

berlinonaut

Veteran
I do have a Tikit and a Pocket Llama. The Tikit folds ingenously quick, but has a bit of a strange form factor when folded. The rearframe on mine is apart from that broken in several locations, callbacks have not been performed by the previous owner so it is basically unfortunately economically not worth bothering with it any more.
The Llama folds very quickly as well, thanks to the rear rack it is standing stable as well. Just the packet is somewhat bigger than desirable and, as with all Bike Fridays, the stem is a loose part when folded. Can be solved with a strap to a degree. Moving the folded bike around is a bit of a pain when it is not in a bag. But to be fair: It was not built for that in the first place.

Last edited:
Top Bottom