Replacing my folder(s) thoughts

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
brommieinkorea

brommieinkorea

Which Amazon debacle?

Rumor has it, Brompton is now selling through Amazon.

Gunk

Guru
Rumor has it, Brompton is now selling through Amazon.

IMG_0993.jpeg

Drago

Legendary Member
Is that Brompton selling through Amazon, an authorised retailer, of someone who picked up some stock somewhere and is chancing their arm?

Ps, I love pics of folded Bromprons. It's strangely fascinating!

berlinonaut

Veteran
Is that Brompton selling through Amazon, an authorised retailer, of someone who picked up some stock somewhere and is chancing their arm?
As you can see in the screenshot (right side lower middle): neither. "Sold by amazon" means Amazon sell those themselves (and do, as can be assumed, buy them from Brompton).
Ps, I love pics of folded Bromprons. It's strangely fascinating!
Hmm, would love to see a pic of you performing the Brompton fold with your body as a kind of performance! Quite sure this could be
strangely fascinating!
as well! ^_^:ohmy:

berlinonaut

Veteran
maybe there isn't a dealer network in the US, though I found two stores in Hawaii that sold Bromptons.

https://us.brompton.com/find-a-store

Bildschirm­foto 2023-08-09 um 11.32.59.png

There is a considerable amount of dealers and the numbers have gone way up over the last years. Still there are huge gaps in the network as you can see on the map. Brompton has been selling through REI for a couple of years already to reach those w/o a dealer within close distance.

berlinonaut

Veteran
As you can see in the screenshot (right side lower middle): neither. "Sold by amazon" means Amazon sell those themselves (and do, as can be assumed, buy them from Brompton).
I stand partly corrected: When looking on the offerings on Amazon it seems that the A-Line is sold by Amazon themselves wheras C-Line and Electric are sold by Brompton via Amazon.

Drago

Legendary Member
Hmm, would love to see a pic of you performing the Brompton fold with your body as a kind of performance! Quite sure this could be

Jeez, I struggle to reach my feet and hold it long enough to tie my laces these days!

12boy

Guru
I got my P line at the excellent Freedom Folding Bikes in Boulder CO. Chuck, the owner, swapped out the Chainring for a 54 and the pedals for Shimano 2 way SPDs on the spot and also the suspension lastomer. No labor charge. I found the super hard elastomer too noisy so the stock one was refitted no charge. He used to work at Calhoun cycles in Minneapolis Minnesota ( now yclept Performance Cycles as Calhoun was a slave trader and therefore the name has become politically incorrect) and they are excellent as well. He has given me excellent advice on the double chainring strategy of providing granny gears. The western parts of the Denver metropolis, which abuts the Rocky Mountains is vey hilly and a wide gear range is very welcome.

Nibor

Bewildered
I'm beginning to consider that a Brompton maybe, just maybe, is worth a look.

One thing is on my mind: If a Brompton is supplied with the U handlebars, can those be swapped for straight bars or do they need a different stem?

I have done it for a colleague but you end up with a low front end with the standard stem as it is shorter. Suited my colleague as she is little

Attempt 2 for Brommie trial ride underway. Eat, ride back to work, park bike in workshop, run to station, train to Freiburg. Aim to get back in time to collect bike before work locks up for the night.

This is one reason I'm after a folder; I don't like leaving my bike in Freiburg even for a short time.

Last edited:
OP
OP
brommieinkorea

brommieinkorea

https://us.brompton.com/find-a-store

View attachment 702038

There is a considerable amount of dealers and the numbers have gone way up over the last years. Still there are huge gaps in the network as you can see on the map. Brompton has been selling through REI for a couple of years already to reach those w/o a dealer within close distance.

Actually, several of those listed on Bromptons site are no longer carrying the brand. And you'll notice the dealers are all situated on the coast or in Chicago . This was more or less the point of the thread, the lack of support and a search for an alternative. I understand that Europeans can't fathom a single country that is 6000 kilometers across...

oldwheels

Legendary Member
I have both a Brompton and a Bike Friday. Both nice bikes but just a bit different due to wheel sizes.
The Brompton fold is well known but I agree the BF is a bit of a pain in not so much folding but dismantling with loose bits to cope with and not lose.

Top Bottom