Replacing SPD cleat... replace pedals too?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

beany_bot

Veteran
Hi, I've done about 4,000k on my current SPD cleats and pedals and they feel very "floaty" now. Like my foot moves around a lot on them. I was going to replace to cleats as they look worn but should I replace the pedals too? How long do they typically last?

T4tomo

Guru
pedals should be fine, if cleats are worn replace them and see how it feels

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
The pedals should still be good after 20,000 miles, mine are. Just to sheck, we are talking about the MTB style SPDs and not the road SPD-SLs aren't we? I believe the road type cleats wear a lot quicker. I only change my SPD cleats if they start to disengage unintentionally or when the front edge is worn almost to a knife edge....... :whistle:

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I would be very surprised if your SPD cleats are worn after4,000k. They usually last 10 times that amount... and more.
Are you doing a lot of walking in them?

OP
OP
B

beany_bot

Veteran
Just seems very "loose" to me? I've tried tightening up the release bolts but that doesnt affect the floatiness. Another thing making me think they are loose is that my cranks have started to show abrasive wear, where my shoes are colliding with tyhe crank. which I don't remember ever having before.

View: https://youtu.be/T5eP7ctAvAE

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

beany_bot

Veteran
IMG_20210520_091325.jpg
IMG_20210520_090237.jpg
IMG_20210520_090213.jpg
IMG_20210520_090209.jpg
IMG_20210520_091316.jpg

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
The cleats look in good condition, you can still see the SM-SH51. Crank scuffing is quite common TBH, you can reduce it by changing the angle of the cleat, but be careful doing this as it may stop your foot aligning naturally

Top Bottom