Replacing SPD cleat... replace pedals too?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Yep, i would say everything there looks good.
As long as you're not releasing your foot accidently on a power/or upstroke then I wouldn't worry.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Thanks.

Wonder why I am suddenly noticing it more, and why am I colliding with the cranks.

It sometimes can be your shoes - some are a bit more padded and can rub the cranks - doesn't take much to wear the finish when there is a bit of grit around.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
why am I colliding with the cranks.
They all do that sir! Maybe your shoes have 'given' a bit as they have been used more.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Whilst adjusting the tension will not normally affect the float, if the tension is really loose then it can do. I would clean up the rust, lube properly and then try increasing the tension a bit, you can always back it off a bit if you don't like it.

Sharky

Guru
If you are thinking that your pedals are getting a bit worn, it could be cost effective to buy new pedals as they usually come with cleats as well.

Keo cleats can be as much as £14 yet you can buy pedals with cleats for around £38.

Probably similar pricing for SPD's.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
A set of the 520s could often be found for only £18-20 inc cleats pre-covid and as cleats were often £8-10 on their own this was certainly worth considering.
Not sure how much 520s are currently selling for?

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Yep, as I thought. Now selling for £30+

si_c

Guru
I've always found SPD float to increase over the first couple of thousand miles until they are bedded in. I've never worn out a cleat though and those cleats look like you've not even walked very far in them :laugh:. The last pair of cleats I threw out were welded onto the shoes that had just fallen apart, still fine though.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I agree about lube on the pedals AND that cleats don't wear much AND that the pedals last for years.

It could be that you have worn the soles of the shoes down enough that they aren't gripping the pedals as much as they used to. There definitely appears to be some wear on the sole surrounding the cleat.

hatler

Guru
Or moving the cleat laterally in the shoes, towards the inside of the foot, which will have the effect of moving the shoe outwards from the crank arm.

Top Bottom