Replacing STX shifter

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
I've got 3x7 STX integrated brakes-shifters on my "new" commuter (a flat-bar Galaxy conversion I picked up on here). Last weekend I successfully fettled the front shifter so that it got all three gears; this weekend in attempting to do the same I comprehensively broke the thing.

What component should I get to replace the broken shifter? I can't seem to find something exactly equivalent - which may be my ignorance. The rear shifter is also sometimes a bit hit-and-miss, so I'd be happy to replace that at the same time.

I don't need anything particularly technologically avanced - for a basic commuting bike I'd prefer reliable twist-shift to unreliable trigger-shift. I don't even particularly care about indexing, but I'd guess that an unindexed shifter for flat-barred bikes is difficult to find these days!

[edit]
http://www.sram.com/sram/mountain/products/sram-mrx-pro-twist-shifter#/path/term-id/81
Something like that, plus a basic brake lever?

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
That would do the job. As for a brake lever, they're different for canti and V brakes, so you need the right sort.

OP
OP
srw

srw

That would do the job. As for a brake lever, they're different for canti and V brakes, so you need the right sort.
It's centre-pull cantilevers. How do I tell the difference?

Ebay's got plenty of options for shifters, but I'd guess that most of the new levers are for V-brakes rather than cantilevers.

Of course there's always the option of fitting new brakes at the same time...

Moodyman

Legendary Member
Shimano ST-EF51 - Brake and shifter combo in one. It's Acera - so bottom end but very functional - I'm a happy daily user of 4 years.

Fits, Canti, disc and V brakes

EDIT: comes in 7 and 8 speed so look for seven.

OP
OP
srw

srw

I thought cantilever and V-brakes were different and levers incompatible? The Shimano website doesn't seem to know about the EF51 model, so I can't check it.

I've found "Origin8 Cantilever" levers and "Sunrace Thumbshifter" shifters at SJS - total price a bit less than the Shimano things. (Sorry - my browser isn't doing pasting at the moment, so I can't provide a link). Any opinions?

Top Bottom