replica jersey snobbery?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
My LBS has a a race team wearing this jersey....

http://www.britishcy...uly_17_2011.jpg

They sell their own team Jerseys in the shop, if its 'wrong' to wear a pro kit, what about wearing a smaller local teams kit?

I've still got the opinion i just wear what i like and don't give a hoot!

andy

I have never understood why one is expected to pay lots of money to provide free advertising for the seller (this applies to be-logoed clothing in general). I remember when LBSs gave away free musettes ........

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
I have never understood why one is expected to pay lots of money to provide free advertising for the seller (this applies to be-logoed clothing in general). I remember when LBSs gave away free musettes ........

Good point, having never been into wearing replica kit of any sport my first real recollection of this was when Benetton started and also people I knew getting obsessed by Lacoste. Puzzled me then but the one that really took my breath away was GAP talk about turning people into walking billboards.

teletext45

the LBS where i got my bike from sell their jerseys for £45 i'd rather buy the kit of my club then advertise my LBS.

Speaking of musettes, i picked up a Rabobank Musette for a couple of quid off ebay, really useful for keeping my cycling gloves, shade, arm warmers etc etc in, i got slated for having it by my club at the last sportive i went to :sad:

jerseys = okish

musettes = no no

andy

teletext45

there just used for hand like drinks and energy bars to the rider during a race. Just a small canvas bag with one button, i just thought it was a nice thing for what i paid.

andy

youngoldbloke

??? isn't that just a little bag that goes over the shoulder, like a mini messenger bag? what could be wrong with that?

You can still buy them (if you look hard enough!) and Prendas usually have a (changing) selection of team ones Prendas musettes Useful in that you can just fold them up and put in a jersey pocket.

youngoldbloke

there just used for hand like drinks and energy bars to the rider during a race. Just a small canvas bag with one button, i just thought it was a nice thing for what i paid.

andy

Spot on! They are handed to the riders at feed points, and then thrown away. If you watch Tour coverage you will see this happening, often the riders will hang the bag to the front until the contents are consumed. We used to add ties to the bottom corners to help keep the bag on your back, as it has a tendency to swing to the side.

the_mikey

Legendary Member
I see no problem in someone riding their road bike while wearing htc, rabobank or radioshack jerseys for example, it's a bit more disturbing when they're in full kit complete with matching team issue bike however, or they're wearing Rapha Condor Sharp team kit. I only have a highroad jersey, most of my other jerseys are non team cycling jerseys, although I have an odd french club jersey that I never wear and I've never been a member of. If I was a member of a club then I'd wear the club jersey!

I can't see that there is a problem wearing replica team kit. The teams obviously don't either or they wouldn't be any 'official replica team kit' would there?

I don't wear any cycling team stuff, but I do have a couple of nice Planet X jerseys from when they were selling some off cheap a few months ago. good few other people have them too from what I've seen.

The football shirt gets worn on Saturdays though.

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
What? Wearing it? No chance :biggrin: I generally wear THIS one. Not a team jersey but there you go. Actually, I have a pair of Milram bib shorts in the wardrobe that I never wear, reason being - Milram never rode Cannondale's, does that make me sad? Wait, don't answer that :tongue:

Not my cup of tea, am to skinny for that one. lol

Willo

Lets see some of your jerseys, post a pick.

Go on then, here goes with one of me looking gormless in my Team Europcar jersey retracing the route of Voekler and co. over L'Etape 3 of this year's TdF......

IMAG0503-1.jpg

Top Bottom