replica jersey snobbery?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
Well i just got a cracking deal on the 2011 BMC kit - bib leggings and jersey and i'll wear it, cause since i have been cycling the last 5 months i have probably only met 3 other people cycling in my area!!!!!

Lucheni

I can sort of understand people getting prissy about tops that signify winning something. It's a bit like in airsoft, with some folk being cheesed off with others dressing up as SAS or Paras without ever earning the badge. I don't see the harm though. Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

I have to admit my first thought upon seeing a chap down my way wearing a Garmin Cervelo jersey was "What a tit! Thinks he's a proper racer, is it?" After a few moments I realised I was just jealous (because I can't afford fancy kit).

Snobbery says more about the person being a snob than about the person they're being snobbish about. My mum'd wear the maillot de jeune simply because yellow's her favourite colour.

Wear whatever you like, if it makes you happy it's worth the price.

Willo

I'm fairly conservative but liked the Europcar jersey this year so treated myself. As with others, have got to an age where I'm not overly bothered what others may think of me poodling at 15 mph wearing it. People wear rugby and football tops down the pub etc. At least I'm actually cycling in my cycling team jersey.

VamP

Banned
I'm fairly conservative but liked the Europcar jersey this year so treated myself. As with others, have got to an age where I'm not overly bothered what others may think of me poodling at 15 mph wearing it. People wear rugby and football tops down the pub etc. At least I'm actually cycling in my cycling team jersey.

Now be honest - do you catch yourself chanting ''I am Tommy, I am Tommy'' to yourself when the going gets tough?

YahudaMoon

Über Member
I have a London Dynamo jersey. I only wear it as a base layer and wouldnt wear it on show as Im not a member of London Dynamo and never have been. I think it could be London Dynamo's property ? :smile:

Shhh

Willo

Now be honest - do you catch yourself chanting ''I am Tommy, I am Tommy'' to yourself when the going gets tough?

Not at all...............well maybe I got a little carried away when cycling over part of this year's TdF route last week and seeing Allez Thomas and Vive Thomas painted all over the road. Then reality kicked in as I remembered the rest of the group I'd set off with had dropped me 10 miles back! Still, inspired by the messages left on the road, I bravely battled on Thommy style and completed the route (to find that after dropping me, 2 of the remaining 4 burnt out and DNF :biggrin: !)

Vikeonabike

CC Neighbourhood Police Constable
I have Sky HTC and one of Big Maggys Sprocket Procycling Team Jerseys....Love them all, don't feel self conscious (well except nce when i was so ill cycling home I got overtaken by an old bloke on a 3 speed shopper, really should not have been riding)

Kind of like some of the ones about with a message (Share the Damn Road, Save a Cyclist, etc). Then found these from Sprint Design

Mwahaha

Like few others of thiers too...Might get my cousin to send one over as an xmas pressie.

teletext45

I've got a very 'fetching' Rabobank jersey got a bit of banter style stick from my club but it was all in good fun.

I used to avoid replica jerseys but to be honest i don't care any more i wear what i like. Anyway most the bike snobs will be stopping riding soon as winter is close lol

andy

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
I've got a very 'fetching' Rabobank jersey got a bit of banter style stick from my club but it was all in good fun.

I used to avoid replica jerseys but to be honest i don't care any more i wear what i like. Anyway most the bike snobs will be stopping riding soon as winter is close lol

andy

good point, I figure anyone ploughing their way to work, on a bike, through Winter rain/hail/snow/ice can pretty much wear whatever the heck they like...though I have seen just shorts worn in the snow and that was a bit too dedicated for my tastes

mhk1058

Regular
Kind of like some of the ones about with a message (Share the Damn Road, Save a Cyclist, etc). Then found these from Sprint Design

Mwahaha

Like few others of thiers too...Might get my cousin to send one over as an xmas pressie.

These from Velominati are pretty cool too, looks like pro team kit but it's not and a bit of fun too.

Within the spirit of Velominati it is about looking cool... saw a bloke in full 2010 HTC kit at the weekend, not my favourite colour combination, yellow and white, and on a bloke who was a good few months away from his peak and no tan to speak of it didn't look great.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
These from Velominati are pretty cool too, looks like pro team kit but it's not and a bit of fun too.

Within the spirit of Velominati it is about looking cool... saw a bloke in full 2010 HTC kit at the weekend, not my favourite colour combination, yellow and white, and on a bloke who was a good few months away from his peak and no tan to speak of it didn't look great.

Saw a chap yesterday wearing full Velominati Kit in deepest, darkest Kent.

teletext45

I will admit, i did see a guy in full sky kit, i.e jersey, shorts, socks, cap, helmet, bottles, arm/knee warmers, glove on a vintage wreck of a peugeot bike, was a little odd lol

andy

HebdenBiker

airsoft [players] dressing up as SAS or Paras

Oh my word. That is the most tragic thing I have ever heard. :biggrin:

I do think it's an insult to wear regimental insignia you haven't earned. If I ran a paintball/airsoft place I would put up a big notice banning it!

As for cycling team kit, wear what you want, but I personally would draw the line at leaders/champions jerseys.

VamP

Banned
Not at all...............well maybe I got a little carried away when cycling over part of this year's TdF route last week and seeing Allez Thomas and Vive Thomas painted all over the road. Then reality kicked in as I remembered the rest of the group I'd set off with had dropped me 10 miles back! Still, inspired by the messages left on the road, I bravely battled on Thommy style and completed the route (to find that after dropping me, 2 of the remaining 4 burnt out and DNF :biggrin: !)

See it works.

When I start to feel the pain I totally ask myself 'what would Ullrich do?'

Pedal harder! is the usual answer I get :sad:

Top Bottom