replica jersey snobbery?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Basil.B

Guru
Sorry, there was a link in the image but it was borked. Correct link is below:
http://cgi.ebay.com/...=item1c1aa4915e

Cheers for the link, too dear for me though!
thumbsup.png

I'd say that there's a big difference between just wearing a team jersey and wearing full team kit (shorts + jersey).

+ 1

Lots of Sunday riders in Sardinia (maybe more so in the rest of Italy) wear the full gear, team top, team shorts - of course wear what you like, it's your Sunday off, but personally I think it looks daft/naft/ever so slightly pathetic - I'd just go for the top and wear plain black quality lycra shorts. Never quite understood why companies wanted their brand sat on/plastered on someone's arse.

These (not team kit as such) are rather wonderful I think though. 2010 outing was also good - some real design and don't make you look like a timeshare brand billboard.

http://www.ilgirodis...iro_maglie.aspx

Overpriced of course, as is so much else in Italy

ramses

Wear what you like.

I wear a 2010 HTC Columbia kit currently, as I prefer the design of this to the 2011.

Might just have to change after this season though as Cavendish is likely to be with another team. More expense! LOL!

Will still keep and wear the HTC kit though, especially as it includes the gloves, and a gilet. Wife might get alittle annoyed if I suddenly stop wearing it!

Ajay

Veteran
Hello Everyone.

Is it frowned upon to be seen wearing a replica cycling team jersey.

Ive set my sights on a replica of the world champions rainbow jersey but im sure i read somewhere or even might have pick it up during commentary on the cycling programme on eurosport that its frowned upon by hardcore cyclists.

Views????
And when you go to the velodrome you could wear your imitation gold medal and pretend to be Sir Chris!

Am I the only one here who thinks that replica kit for whatever sport is, well, is a bit naff?
I'd say the cut off age is around 12/13 for any replica kit. There is plenty of choice of club/ retro/ Rapha/ novelty/ unbranded kit out there for the grown ups :-)

And when you go to the velodrome you could wear your imitation gold medal and pretend to be Sir Chris!

I'd say the cut off age is around 12/13 for any replica kit. There is plenty of choice of club/ retro/ Rapha/ novelty/ unbranded kit out there for the grown ups :-)

I think I tend to agree with you Ajay.

Would you or anyone else care to suggest any good, reasonably priced (doesn't include Rapha, though the quality is doubtless good) kit. Hopefully not too far out novelty, but good designs.

I've always thought the Dulwich Paragon strip very good, though never sure if you have to be a bona fide veteran of club runs to acquire it:

http://www.dulwichparagon.com/

Garz

Squat Member
I started off with aldi ones, then ebay retro ones and now just as long as they are quality with some colour co-ordination. The decisions are even easier if you belong to a club as you can just wear their attire!

brockers

I've always thought the Dulwich Paragon strip very good, though never sure if you have to be a bona fide veteran of club runs to acquire it:

You wouldn't believe the arguments that the design and development of that kit caused five years ago! I'm sure there will be mutterings about a redesign too soon. The current design was arrived at via a few iterations, and manufacturers were changed from Sportful to Giordana after supply problems. The shorts are basically Giordana Tenax and v comfy, but you'll need to join first (and you'll need 3rd party insurance through CTC or BC these days too) should you wish to purloin a pair. I haven't bothered with membership this year (being a tightwad, and finding myself arranging my own rides with people I know from Dulwich P) and treated myself to a pair of plain stealth-black Assos Uno's with the money saved! Which are extreeeeemely comfortable, I might add.

One idea that is becoming increasingly popular is to get a few chums together and design your own kit. Some manufacturers (BioRacer, Giordana to name two) have templates which you can base your design on, or might let you rip with your own bespoke creation for a higher fee. And, obviously, the more items they produce per run, the cheaper each unit becomes.

Yes Brockers, I heard on the London cycle grapevine a while ago that some thought the new strip rather camp or something. Don't understand. I heard back from a guy at the Paragon by the way - you do need to be a fully signed up member to acquire it. Pity.

gavintc

Guru
Would you or anyone else care to suggest any good, reasonably priced (doesn't include Rapha, though the quality is doubtless good) kit. Hopefully not too far out novelty, but good designs.

Join your local club and wear the kit with pride. Club kit is usually reasonably priced.

davefb

Guru
I suppose team kit would be like football clubs et al use kits, as a means to make more $$$$$$..

tbh, i either have the aldi/lidl stuff , or go-outdoors when its on offer :smile:..

is there a tdf shirt for 'last' ? i should have that one :smile: , sort of wooden spoon kit !

mhk1058

Regular
I suppose team kit would be like football clubs et al use kits, as a means to make more $$$..

tbh, i either have the aldi/lidl stuff , or go-outdoors when its on offer :smile:..

is there a tdf shirt for 'last' ? i should have that one :smile: , sort of wooden spoon kit !

Old thread I know but but quite interesting reading peoples views. I have a Discovery Jersey with the Livestrong yellow cuff from Lance Armstrong post illness come back/pre retirement (1st time) days. I bought it because I liked it. Only wore it a few times due to feeling a bit self concious. However, I think if you want to wear it, wear it. Fans of football wear football kits to go to the supermarket to stock up on fags and beer, at least your out doing a bit.

Having said that, team kit worn by anyone other than a pro rider does tend to look better if you're a) built like a wippet b) suntanned to within a shade of walnut c) probably post middle aged d) Italian e) quite quick

I personally would give the leaders/KOTM/World Champ stuff a miss, just wouldn't feel right.

Top Bottom