Reporting a P.O.B.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

classic33

Leg End Member
With any number of threads on here where people have reported a driver to their company, because of their attitude whilst driving. How many on here feel that its fair to do the same for a P.O.B.
I come across a few who will quite blatantly take to the pavement, go through red lights. At times forcing drivers of motor vehicles to have to take avoiding action. As they sail on by.

Is there any difference to what they are doing on two wheels, that a driver may do which might result in a complaint being made to their company.

Granted, a bike cannot cannot hit a lorry & cause the lorry to come of second best. But any action the driver may have to take, to avoid the P.O.B., does put other road users at risk through no actual fault of their own.

Should we be treated any differrent?

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
Should POB's be called cyclists?

If you think they are a danger to themselves and others on the road, give a call to the police on the non emergency number and giving them a description.

Cycling Dan

Cycle Crazy
It would be very very very limited on what the police could do. Since there is no way to track a cyclist unlike a road user with a reg. I wouldn't because nothing could really come off it, well not that I can see. If there was a police officer around in a car for example sure make it known to them but anything else would waste everyone's time.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
If the cyclist or POB causes a driver to take evasive action that itself ends up in an accident then the cyclist may be liable in some way. However, I know of no cases where this has happened but many accidents and injuries and fatalities caused by impatient, aggressive or simply incompetent driving. So, while it's a potential danger, I'd guess you'd be hard pushed to find an example. Meanwhile, just let them go and concentrate on the real dangers.

snorri

Legendary Member
I would only consider reporting the actions of other road users when I had felt my life had been endangered. It's unlikely I would feel threatened by the actions of a cyclist.

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
I had a silly cyclist today who nearly cycled right infront of me. He zipped out from behind a van and barely stopped. He really made me jump and ended up cutting off the car behind me.
Some people are not cyclists, but people on bikes.

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
A cyclist = a person on a bike.
I think the word 'cyclist' refers to a more bike minded person though. Someone who cares for their safety and is more dedicated to improving the image of cycling.
A POB is a person who on that particular day decided that cycling was cheaper than taking the bus and doesnt have much experience of cycling on roads so often jumps onto the footpath.

Hip Priest

Veteran
I think the word 'cyclist' refers to a more bike minded person though. Someone who cares for their safety and is more dedicated to improving the image of cycling.
A POB is a person who on that particular day decided that cycling was cheaper than taking the bus and doesnt have much experience of cycling on roads so often jumps onto the footpath.

If you're on a bike, you're a cyclist. There is no value judgement in the term.

Does anyone have the number of the OED? I think I've just found the elusive, perfect definition for the term 'BS'.

You're making me want to have a T-Shirt printed with the slogan 'POB and Proud'.

OP
OP
classic33

classic33

Leg End Member
As a non-driver, sitting in the passenger seat, the amount of times I've heard the person doing the driving complaining about the driving standards of other drivers on the roads, is beyond recall.
I'm not saying I'm the worlds greatest cyclist, even though I do use cameras. But my reason for asking was because I see the same few taking more or less the same route, regardless of other traffic or pedestrians. Where are they supposed to go when there's a fence on one side & a wall/window on the other, and a person on a bike approaching at speed.

Of those who have answered, how many would cross five lanes of traffic, whilst travelling the wrong way through a junction, before mounting the pavement?

OP
OP
classic33

classic33

Leg End Member
P.O.B. does split it. I have cycled on two, three & four wheels. And whether I'm on two or four wheels I'd say I'm a cyclist.
Its not only bicyclist's that are cyclist's.

snorri

Legendary Member
Oh, I am not saying that there is any difference in value, just that it is sometimes clear to identify the difference between both.
....but it doesn't clarify anything to call some cyclists POBs:angry:, no one outwith cycling forums would know what you were talking about, and a lot of people here don't know what it means either.
The term merely attempts to create a difference where none exists.

Top Bottom