Reporting mobile use while driving

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I'm not doubting it happens I just think some people go out of their way to be some sort of cycling vigilante but pretend they just 'happen to have seen' someone holding a phone whilst stationery in a queue, I would be impressed if someone reached in and grabbed their phone and chucked it in the hedge.

Shep, Are you some sort of Internet forum vigilante, looking for posts to dismiss, people to insult?
Or do you just "happen to see" these things, whilst innocently browsing for information on gear ratios and kittens??

Whose time do you think is more usefully spent?

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
I set Shep to ignore b/c of previous comments, but I have seen his earlier questions and they're fair enough.

I do filter past slow-moving traffic on my commute quite regularly, and when I see that a driver is likely to be on their phone, usually because of the enormous gap between them and the driver in front, I will pass them slowly and the helmet camera records what it records - the registration of the vehicle and the phone use.

I can usually easily see from the footage whether they had any hands on the wheel, both on the phone, typing away on it, illuminated screen, power cable attached etc.

When I have time within the next 7 days I simply upload the 2-minute file to Avon & Somerset police and leave it with them to decide what to do. It's not for me to grab the phone or cause criminal damage or alarm. Half the time the driver is so engrossed they never notice me at all.

Some of the road on my way home is packed with queueing drivers eager to join the M5 a few hundred yards ahead. I have reported many who I have seen phone-in-hand driving off onto the motorway. This is a habit they would do very well to break before they injure someone or themselves.

After discussing how common distracted driving is on our roads with Nazan Fennell, the mother of Hope who was crushed to death by a phone-using HGV driver, I decided to report every phone-addicted driver I could. https://www.cyclinguk.org/article/campaigns-guide/inquest-opens-teenage-cyclist’s-death

Slick

Guru
I set Shep to ignore b/c of previous comments, but I have seen his earlier questions and they're fair enough.

I do filter past slow-moving traffic on my commute quite regularly, and when I see that a driver is likely to be on their phone, usually because of the enormous gap between them and the driver in front, I will pass them slowly and the helmet camera records what it records - the registration of the vehicle and the phone use.

I can usually easily see from the footage whether they had any hands on the wheel, both on the phone, typing away on it, illuminated screen, power cable attached etc.

When I have time within the next 7 days I simply upload the 2-minute file to Avon & Somerset police and leave it with them to decide what to do. It's not for me to grab the phone or cause criminal damage or alarm. Half the time the driver is so engrossed they never notice me at all.

Some of the road on my way home is packed with queueing drivers eager to join the M5 a few hundred yards ahead. I have reported many who I have seen phone-in-hand driving off onto the motorway. This is a habit they would do very well to break before they injure someone or themselves.

After discussing how common distracted driving is on our roads with Nazan Fennell, the mother of Hope who was crushed to death by a phone-using HGV driver, I decided to report every phone-addicted driver I could. https://www.cyclinguk.org/article/campaigns-guide/inquest-opens-teenage-cyclist’s-death

That really is tragic.

Badger_Boom

Über Member
I'm not doubting it happens I just think some people go out of their way to be some sort of cycling vigilante but pretend they just 'happen to have seen' someone holding a phone whilst stationery in a queue, I would be impressed if someone reached in and grabbed their phone and chucked it in the hedge.

If you're in anyway surprised that people just 'happen to have seen' some outrageous behavior from road users during their commute then you need to improve your own observation skills. In the last week alone without 'looking for' anything I've spotted someone driving while watching a Netflix show on a tablet suckered to the windscreen in front of them. I was too busy driving my own car to do anything about it, and alone so I didn't have anyone to grab a photo or registration number.

If you're in anyway surprised that people just 'happen to have seen' some outrageous behavior from road users during their commute then you need to improve your own observation skills. In the last week alone without 'looking for' anything I've spotted someone driving while watching a Netflix show on a tablet suckered to the windscreen in front of them. I was too busy driving my own car to do anything about it, and alone so I didn't have anyone to grab a photo or registration number.

I see all sorts of sh*t driving practices myself as I drive about 20k per yr for work, I also ride motorcycles as well as a push bike but it's the self appointed policing of people I have a hard time taking in.

Do whatever you like for me but don't act surprised if you get a whole lot of grief over it, I also see these people as pretty spineless to be honest.

toffee

Guru
I see all sorts of sh*t driving practices myself as I drive about 20k per yr for work, I also ride motorcycles as well as a push bike but it's the self appointed policing of people I have a hard time taking in.

Do whatever you like for me but don't act surprised if you get a whole lot of grief over it, I also see these people as pretty spineless to be honest.

So what's the difference between coming forward as a witness after a serious accident where it is obvious the driver is driving illegally and before a serious accident where the driver is doing the same illegal practice? In both cases you are going to be dropping the driver in it.

Alex321

Veteran

And just what "self appointed policing" might that be?

Reporting things to the police is not "self appointed policing", nor is it vigilanteism, as you also suggested.

Vigilanteism or self appointed policing is things like "cycling Mikey" does.

Any reasoning behind that last?

Tom B

Guru
I don't see the issue with reporting stuff as you go, but I wouldn't go out of my way.

I saw a guy a couple of days ago stood at a major junction bike propped against the railings, helmet on and helmet cam fitted, he kept walking up and down the cars as they stopped either side at the junction. I wondered what he was doing at first. Then it dawned, I think he is one of the cycling zealous/keen/rabid cycling "activists" who was at one point always in the local rag until they tired of him and I think he was looking for drivers on the phone, i've seen him at the same junction before and never really though much of it - but I wonder.......

I'm indifferent, I don't use my phone and drive and rarely drive and frankly I don't have the motivation or time. But i wouldn't be surprised if he meets with some confrontation or at least strongly worded push back from time to time.

One of the reasons that i don't have a cam is that i wonder how much the presence of the camera emboldens people, or motivates them to get embroiled in this sort of thing. Rather like if you have ever viewed the UK Dashcam posts on youtube, half of the time the situations could have been avoided with anticipation, the presence of the dash cam i think sometime makes people drive like twits "to get a good clip"

Perhaps I'm too chilled out, but I cycle 5k+ a year, I bet it isn't once a month I see something that I might consider reporting, but then i'm not one for pushing through traffic or filtering right up to the lights. i'm acutely aware that i, like most humans, make mistakes when driving and cycling, the overwhelmingly majority of the time we get away with it either because its quickly corrected, of little consequence or another person reacts and compensates for my mistakes.

Not every error or mistake MUST be punished.

Enforcement is not the only tool to drive improvement - i would argue it is somewhat a blunt tool and too some extent too late.

A few years ago I was squeezed really badly by a driver of an HGV from a large national parcel company. I was miffed so emailed them. I got a jolly nice email back from them apologising explaining theyd spoken to the driver who admitted his error - it was a poor overtake and confronted by oncoming traffic, there was a quote from the driver who explained he was a cyclist himself and he recognised what he done and immediately felt bad, for obvious reasons couldnt exactly stop or undo what had been done. I think the company put him on monitoring or something. No idea if the van had cameras or anything, but in my eyes that was better than 3 points and or a naughty boy course on MS sTeams.

Equally there is another local company who get a lot of stick from a local loon who claims theyre making his house fall down with their HGVs. flying by at high speed. I encounter them regularly doing shunts between their sites, infact I often catch them up as they self limit to 20mph in the village and problem area, without exception the drivers are patient and allow loads of space. So i wrote to them and told them so. Its nice to be nice.

Im not backwards about complaining, but i try to balance any complaint in a shop or whatever with a memo of complement when i meet good service.

Last edited:
Top Bottom