Reporting mobile use while driving

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tom B

Guru
Is phone use a "mistake"?

It certainly is.

I'm not pious enough to say i have never touched my phone while at the lights.

I'm not someone who's wedded to my phone or car so it's probably 50:50 if I have it or if it's usually in my pocket or in the door pocket if not in my bag in to boot.

However I can recall occasions where I have picked it up of the footwell at the lights if it has dropped or lobbed by the kids. My kids listen to audio books via the Bluetooth when in the car, occasionally when the stop start. Stops the engine it'll drop the Bluetooth connection momentarily stopping the book playing, I have on.occasion hit play on my phone in it's cradle to restart the book. Yes it's wrong, but I don't really see how it's any different from hitting a "button" on the built in touchscreen or putting the demisters on or whatever.

Tom B

Guru
Just to throw a curved ball in...

How does the jury feel about this....

On my way to work yesterday I was joined at (past) the stop line at the same junction I mentioned earlier by another cyclist, the asl wasn't far enough forwards for him so he stopped further ahead still.. He whipped out his phone and started interacting with it. The lights changed and he was still fiddling with his phone, he cycled away after a brief delay phone in hand on the handlebars and once clear of the junction slipped it into his pocket.

He was clearly distracted as he missed the lights changing and the phone in his hand would impair his control.

Again I'm pretty laid back and wouldn't normally have batted an eyelid if it hadn't been for reading this thread.

You have to realise @Tom B that none of these lot have EVER done ANYTHING remotely illegal, immoral or something that could be frowned upon and hold themselves in a higher place than most.

Or...........................they're all saddo do gooders with now't else to do with their time, you can decide that for yourself.

Alex321

Veteran
You have to realise @Tom B that none of these lot have EVER done ANYTHING remotely illegal, immoral or something that could be frowned upon and hold themselves in a higher place than most.

Or...........................they're all saddo do gooders with now't else to do with their time, you can decide that for yourself.

Anybody who believes either of those likely is a fool.

Mazz

😆
wtf.gif

Gillstay

Über Member
Me too, in my instance I'd rather look at where I'm going & what's likely to hit me than at drivers knees

A lot I see have their phone on the steering wheel so its not hard to spot.

sheddy

Legendary Member
Has anyone submitted car dashcam video showing another moving driver holding a phone - what was the outcome ?

Last edited:

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
I haven't, but I think the police would expect the footage to clearly show that it was a phone, sat nav, or other device that was being held. As long as that hurdle was crossed it should be acceptable. It is no different to a cyclist using their own body worn camera to make a report.

daveBcycling

A few people have asked about the ability to submit dashcam footage to the met police, but does anyone have an example of where action was taken? Not being cynical, just wondering. I might be a rare one who hasn't seen this a lot on my route despite living in London

A few people have asked about the ability to submit dashcam footage to the met police, but does anyone have an example of where action was taken? Not being cynical, just wondering. I might be a rare one who hasn't seen this a lot on my route despite living in London

There's a few London based cycling camera vigilantes out there (for lack of a better word) who are on YouTube just about every day with clips of drivers on phones and talking about their penalties.

Cycling Mikey ? Is he one ?

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Cycling Mikey
yes he is one, amongst very, very many. Cyclegaz, Jeremy Vine, TrafficDroid and CBikeLondon are another 4 off the top of my head.
And it's not just London, many other cities and towns have camera cyclists. It's not a rare thing now. There's hundreds out there.

Reactions: C R
Top Bottom