Reporting mobile use while driving

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

All uphill

Still rolling along
Sorry a complete Whoooooooosh moment there, you're too clever for me

Outside the envelope?

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
The first time I ever did this, the driver threw his phone on the passenger seat. Then looked up at me and waved apology.

Last week was the first one in a long while (my commute is fairly rural, so long queues are not the norm); she didn't really seem to know what the issue was.

People vary. If they're acting like d1cks, it seems worth pointing it out, you never know the outcome.

i have had one chap stop and jump out wielding a club like object when i shouted a warning that he was too close, last night a taxi overtook me then stopped dead in front of me without warning , over take again mouthing off.
To many nutters out there nowdays to risk it , by all means video it and report but know where you stand as it can be you vs a loony or a loony in charge of a couple of ton of metal on wheels

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
If you're filtering up stationary traffic, is it okay to tap on the window to get the driver's attention, or would that constitute "assault"?
Not to report them, I mean - just to tell them to get off their phone.

I report these, I don't engage. The police deter people from engaging because you never know who you might be offending... the next Kenneth Noye is only a bit of "disrespect" away. I have no qualms reporting people using phones in "stationary" traffic because of the number of times I see them drive off without checking the road ahead properly. I also don't believe they'd be likely to pay proper attention to their driving if the messaging continues whilst they're in motion.

This is what happens when people think phone engagement is more important than driving.

https://road.cc/content/news/jail-distracted-driver-who-killed-cyclist-301907

I report these, I don't engage. The police deter people from engaging because you never know who you might be offending... the next Kenneth Noye is only a bit of "disrespect" away. I have no qualms reporting people using phones in "stationary" traffic because of the number of times I see them drive off without checking the road ahead properly. I also don't believe they'd be likely to pay proper attention to their driving if the messaging continues whilst they're in motion.

This is what happens when people think phone engagement is more important than driving.

https://road.cc/content/news/jail-distracted-driver-who-killed-cyclist-301907

You must do a hell of a lot of filtering in order to 'catch ' all these stationary mobile phone users, do you cruise up and down McDonald's drive thru or something?

As a matter of interest how does this 'policing ' of drivers work, I guess you have a camera mounted somewhere and you spot the target and somehow capture the reg and the act in a single sweep or do you need to stop and zoom in or something.
Or perhaps you look through your footage each day hoping for a result?

All uphill

Still rolling along
You must do a hell of a lot of filtering in order to 'catch ' all these stationary mobile phone users, do you cruise up and down McDonald's drive thru or something?

As a matter of interest how does this 'policing ' of drivers work, I guess you have a camera mounted somewhere and you spot the target and somehow capture the reg and the act in a single sweep or do you need to stop and zoom in or something.

It's really not that uncommon.

I cycled just under two miles today and saw two people using their phones while driving.
One was waiting at traffic lights and continued to hold his phone to his ear as he drove away, and one maneuvering his car in a car park surrounded by pedestrians and a couple of cyclists.

All uphill

Still rolling along
You must just be far more observant than I

When I'm cycling around town in the busy times I'm always looking out for my own safety.

D

Deleted member 26715

When I'm cycling around town in the busy times I'm always looking out for my own safety.
Me too, in my instance I'd rather look at where I'm going & what's likely to hit me than at drivers knees

lazybloke

Considering a new username

Really not difficult to spot illegal mobile use, which together with speeding are probably the most common driving offences.
I would have though a single glance with a 'helmet-cam' would capture sufficient evidence of knuckle-dragger in action

Really not difficult to spot illegal mobile use, which together with speeding are probably the most common driving offences.
I would have though a single glance with a 'helmet-cam' would capture sufficient evidence of knuckle-dragger in action

I see, along with reg plate as well?

What happens then, get home and assess video evidence then upload date, time and location to the appropriate law enforcement agency?

All this whilst innocently riding to work?

Alex321

Veteran
I see, along with reg plate as well?

What happens then, get home and assess video evidence then upload date, time and location to the appropriate law enforcement agency?

All this whilst innocently riding to work?

You seem to be doubting this?

As well as, for some reason, being in favour of car drivers getting away with criminal and dangerous activity?

Seriously, why are you against these people being reported?

You seem to be doubting this?

As well as, for some reason, being in favour of car drivers getting away with criminal and dangerous activity?

Seriously, why are you against these people being reported?

I'm not doubting it happens I just think some people go out of their way to be some sort of cycling vigilante but pretend they just 'happen to have seen' someone holding a phone whilst stationery in a queue, I would be impressed if someone reached in and grabbed their phone and chucked it in the hedge.

Top Bottom