Reporting mobile use while driving

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

newfhouse

Resolutely on topic
Muppets on phones also contribute to congestion. You can tell who is on their phone as they're often blocking traffic as the cars in front have set off without them noticing.

Known colloquially as the WhatsApp Gap.

simongt

Guru
Yesterday, passed a car at traffic lights in which the lady driver was looking down to her lap. No, she wasn't texting, she was filing her nails - ! :rofl:

Chislenko

Veteran
Haven't read all this thread and I apologise if it has been previously mentioned but I feel that cyclists on mobiles should be similarly prosecuted.

I don't think we can call out one group of wrong-doers whilst there are plenty of cyclists guilty of the same offence.

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
Haven't read all this thread and I apologise if it has been previously mentioned but I feel that cyclists on mobiles should be similarly prosecuted.

I don't think we can call out one group of wrong-doers whilst there are plenty of cyclists guilty of the same offence.

I don't usually use my mobile on the bike personally, but : -

1. It is not yet illegal to use a phone whilst cycling so there's no offence to report; and
2. Most importantly, it does not pose the same danger to others (the chief danger is to oneself!) so is not as serious;
3. Just because some cyclists aren't breaking the law by looking at their phones whilst cycling, is not a reason I would accept to fail to report a driver for posing a danger of serious harm to myself and others by mobile phone distraction; and
4. I don't accept the "grouping" of drivers or cyclists, I'm not responsible for bad cyclists in the same way I'm not responsible, as a careful driver, for bad drivers.

This recent report underlined the serious risks distracted driving poses to other road users.

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/news/bristol-news/hgv-driver-almost-leg-amputated-7273313

Alex321

Veteran
I don't usually use my mobile on the bike personally, but : -

1. It is not yet illegal to use a phone whilst cycling so there's no offence to report; and
2. Most importantly, it does not pose the same danger to others (the chief danger is to oneself!) so is not as serious;
3. Just because some cyclists aren't breaking the law by looking at their phones whilst cycling, is not a reason I would accept to fail to report a driver for posing a danger of serious harm to myself and others by mobile phone distraction; and
4. I don't accept the "grouping" of drivers or cyclists, I'm not responsible for bad cyclists in the same way I'm not responsible, as a careful driver, for bad drivers.

This recent report underlined the serious risks distracted driving poses to other road users.

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/news/bristol-news/hgv-driver-almost-leg-amputated-7273313

While there may not be a specific offence of using a phone while cycling, you can perfectly well be done for Careless or inconsiderate cycling (section 28 Road Traffic Act).

TBH, while there isn't as much danger to other road users, I feel the use of a hand held mobile is going to affect your cycling even more than it does driving.

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
While there may not be a specific offence of using a phone while cycling, you can perfectly well be done for Careless or inconsiderate cycling (section 28 Road Traffic Act).

TBH, while there isn't as much danger to other road users, I feel the use of a hand held mobile is going to affect your cycling even more than it does driving.

Yes, I've always pulled over, save on family rides on off-road trails when I've used the phone camera here & there. Thanks for clarifying the potential offence.

Mazz

If you're filtering up stationary traffic, is it okay to tap on the window to get the driver's attention, or would that constitute "assault"?
Not to report them, I mean - just to tell them to get off their phone.

If you're filtering up stationary traffic, is it okay to tap on the window to get the driver's attention, or would that constitute "assault"?
Not to report them, I mean - just to tell them to get off their phone.

Depends if you don't mind being told to "f*ck off!" on a regular basis, why on earth would you concern yourself with such matters, have you nothing better to do?

• Wow
Reactions: C R

Alex321

Veteran
Depends if you don't mind being told to "f*ck off!" on a regular basis, why on earth would you concern yourself with such matters, have you nothing better to do?

Most of us with any feelings regarding safety would concern themselves with such matters. The driver may not be hitting you right now, but they are a danger to anybody else on the road.

adamangler

Veteran
I agree it's ok to tap on someone window and tell them to do something if you are prepared to deal with the consequences and have a scrap. Problem is these days most people aren't, whether cyclist or driver most like to shout or offend others then speed off when it comes to backing up their mouth.

ignore them and mind your own business because any man with a pair of nuts is not going to let his ego tolerate another man (usually an effeminate looking man at that in lycra) tell him what to do without a verbal or physical reaction. What do you think they are going to say ? Oh yes dad I'll pop that away right now sorry.

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
I agree it's ok to tap on someone window and tell them to do something if you are prepared to deal with the consequences and have a scrap. Problem is these days most people aren't, whether cyclist or driver most like to shout or offend others then speed off when it comes to backing up their mouth.

ignore them and mind your own business because any man with a pair of nuts is not going to let his ego tolerate another man (usually an effeminate looking man at that in lycra) tell him what to do without a verbal or physical reaction. What do you think they are going to say ? Oh yes dad I'll pop that away right now sorry.

Crikey! is it that bad in Wakefield!? :laugh:

Most are likely to tell you to get you know what. But to start swinging!? That means uncoupling their seat belts, operating the door handle and climbing on out. Seems like far too much effort to me...

Mazz

Apart from a stern Paddington Bear stare, they're gonna do fukall when I'm filtering past stationary traffic. My question was more on the legality of tapping on someone's window.

Reactions: C R
Top Bottom