Responsibly disposing of old tyres..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
I have a load of unuseable tyres to get rid of and was told by one place that Schwalbe dealers offered a recycling facility, but I think either he was confusing this with innertubes or was just telling porkies.

Is there any more environmentally-friendly way of getting rid other than just dumping them in the bin?

Also, anything that can be done with nearly-new tyres with broken beads - upcycling into coffee tables or summot? :tongue:

vickster

Legendary Member
https://www.recyclebiketyres.com/

or take them to your local tip

Not sure tips allow cyclists or peds
Didn’t realise the first place is in Oz :shy:

I parked my motorbike and walked into my local tip as I needed to dispose of a pair of motorbike tyres but didn't want to risk punctures in the new ones!

Our tip does actually have a marked walk way into it, although the mile long access road has no footpath!

D

Deleted member 1258

Thanks - sadly the first link is a little too far away to be viable (Australia), but it's a great idea.

Do you know if the tip actually recycle them or is it just an easier-for-the-binmen route to the same hole in the ground?

The last time I took cycle tyres to the local tip they went to landfill, there was a skip there for tyres but they only wanted car tyres in it.

OP
OP
wafter

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Cheers guys - as it happens my tyres were directed towards the "misc bulky items" skip so unless they're being sorted post-dump I suspect they'll go in landfill - might as well have just chucked them in the bin in that case :sad:

That said I did take the opportunity to get rid of a few more bits so went in the car in the end. The carnage of all manner of vehicles parked on the pish made even less fun by my twitching battery warning light, but I made it out the other end - without any more bikes either, which was probably for the best!

Top Bottom