Respraying a frame

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tommy2

Über Member
Has anybody had any experience respraying a frame?
I have my daughters old balance bike that’s pink and want to spray it blue for my little boy, normally I would recommend to strip the paint right off, prime it then spray it, but I don’t have the free time to do that so wondered if anyone has had any success just cleaning and spraying over existing paint and any tips or paint recommendations?

Thanks

stalagmike

Enormous member
Frankly, why bother? Boys can enjoy pink things too!

You don't need to strip it right down. However, you do have to key the existing paint by roughening it up all over, using water paper. Just sand it until you have a nice matte finish everywhere. Then respray with a dark colour. Pinks and reds have a tendency to bleed through just about every colour other than black.

screenman

Legendary Member
I would use a scuff pad rather than paper, quick blast of grey primer and whatever colour you desire, red takes a lot of coats, so best avoided.

tom73

Guru
Cover it with some great cool stickers stuff your lad really likes. Make it a one off he'd love to be seen on. Be much more fun than all the prep and painting. What's more he can help do it.

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
Quick skuff pad, wipe over with a tack cloth and paint it, Am in the process of doing one, Although i will take a lot of time on preperation as this is a special project,

Last edited:

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Matt black is waay cooler than blue and would cover better.
xx(

OP
OP
Tommy2

Tommy2

Über Member
@tom73 I really like that idea!!!!!! I knew a guy that used to put stickers and comic clippings on cheap ikea tables then yacht varnish over the top and sell the for £50 a piece.

tom73

Guru
I bet your lad will too plus you get to be a big kid in the bargain. ;)

A local artist spotted a job lot of comics in a skip the bloke said have them. He did just that for an art work he was doing. When it went on display someone spotted one little bit of a comic turned out he'd ripped up a rare one worth millions.

Nigelnightmare

Über Member
I bet your lad will too plus you get to be a big kid in the bargain. ;)

A local artist spotted a job lot of comics in a skip the bloke said have them. He did just that for an art work he was doing. When it went on display someone spotted one little bit of a comic turned out he'd ripped up a rare one worth millions.

Not any more it's not.:whistle:

Top Bottom