Rest Days

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
I am really pleased with the progress I have made on the bike.So far I have just ridden whenever I feel like and go as far as I have time for.

I have done several 50 to 60 mile rides anmd one 100 miler (very flat terrain).

I have entered a hilly 104 mile sportive in July (Merlin) so want to ramp up the training a bit .Not interested in any great speed but want to finish ,ideally not last.

I plan on a mixture of fairly fast sub 20 mile rides with at least one longer ride each week.

How many rest days per week would be sensible for a 52 yr old ?

Also following on from Sam Kennedys thread how long before the event is it wise to start easing off the training rides?

Bill Gates

Banjo said:
I am really pleased with the progress I have made on the bike.So far I have just ridden whenever I feel like and go as far as I have time for.

I have done several 50 to 60 mile rides anmd one 100 miler (very flat terrain).

I have entered a hilly 104 mile sportive in July (Merlin) so want to ramp up the training a bit .Not interested in any great speed but want to finish ,ideally not last.

I plan on a mixture of fairly fast sub 20 mile rides with at least one longer ride each week.

How many rest days per week would be sensible for a 52 yr old ?

Also following on from Sam Kennedys thread how long before the event is it wise to start easing off the training rides?

I'm 61 now and reckon that I'm currently about 65% of where I should be (hopefully) come June/July. It's true to say that the body doesn't recover as quickly as it used to and to progress needs more patience.

Certainly you should have at least one day totally frree from all training to refresh mind and body. More than that depends on the training loads and how you feel on the day. Getting out on the bike is all good, even if it's only a gentle spin recovery ride.

I find it difficult to schedule the training these days as sometimes I feel I should be fresh and eager to ride hard following a rest day. And then find when I get out on the bike there's nothing there; and then other times when I should be taking it easy the day after a hard ride, I can do another one the next day no problem. ;)

I think that as long as your honest with yourself so when you feel tired you ride easy and keep it short, then try and go out as much as you can. Listen to your body.

Re preparation for the big day, two weeks before hand reduce volume and do short sharp rides.; and one week before taper right off with some easy gentle short rides.

lukesdad

The Merlin has some tough hills at the start and in the last 3rd though I think its been revised this year. Your endurance should be o.k from what you ve said . Just make sure youve put in the time on the hills. What are you calling along ride? A flatish 100 isnt going to help you much for 7 hours in the saddle on those hills. IMO youd be better off doing 40 s to 50 s over similar terrain.

lukesdad

Im 50 and dont have many days off the bike but then again I dont put in the intensity that some others do in their sessions. Ive done XC racing for the last 10 years or so including XC marathons where you can be in the saddle for that length of time.

Changing course a bit this year to the road mainly. Entered some sportives early on then from June on concentrating on road racing should be interesting:wacko: Have to think a bit more about rest days etc. Up till now tapering has been having an easier week before the race. Usually a day off 3days before then 2 easy days.

Its not scientific, Its not cutting edge, and Ive no internet data to base it on, but it works for me.

jimboalee

There is a rate at which the body can absorb carbohydrate ( in g/hr ). Normaly 40 - 50 g per hour.

After exercising, for example 10 hours at 150g CHO usage per hour, it would follow that 30 hours rest with high quality CHO intake be taken.

On a multiday endurance event like the E2E, 10 hours riding followed by 30 hours rest is more than 1 day. Even if the 50g per hour intake was while riding AND resting, there are not 30 hours in a day.

Eventually, the rider will become depleted so rest days are necessary.

Tot up your usage and your absorption and see if ALL the nutritional requirement for the day is cared for in 24 hours. If not, take a rest day.

OP
OP
Banjo

Banjo

Cheers

Thanks for the replies.I hadnt realized how much climbing the ,Merlin involves but am determined to do it now.

Most climb I have done in one day so far is about 4000 ft,on a 45 mile ride the Merlin is about 7500 ft climbing over 104 milesxx(. Obviously I will need to get plenty of hills in between now and then .

My choice of the Merlin as my first Sportive ride was governed entirely by my work shift rota which seemed to have been cleverly designed to stop me entering anything.That said I am looking forward to it and it is giving me the motivation now to improve my bike fitness.

lukesdad

Its a nice ride Banjo think you ll enjoy it nice countryside and stunning views especially of the black mountain and the descent down cuckoo is one of the best.

The last feed station at the windmills is about 4 MIles from where I live. I ll keep an eye out for you what wil you be riding ?

lukesdad

Have you looked at the pressili angel in may on the velo teifi website penty of hills in 2 loops max is 85 miles good warm up for the merlin or the tour of pembrokeshire in june varying lengths again plenty of hills.

jimboalee

lukesdad said:
Have you looked at the pressili angel in may on the velo teifi website penty of hills in 2 loops max is 85 miles good warm up for the merlin or the tour of pembrokeshire in june varying lengths again plenty of hills.

Any decent campsites?

OP
OP
Banjo

Banjo

lukesdad said:

Thanks for the link to Velo Teifi.Have bookmarked it for future use.

Cant do the angel due to work.Same thing with the dragon in June.I get plenty of time off to ride but most of it is midweek days so not good for doing events.Ideally I would have entered a few shorter/easier rides first but couldnt find any to coincide with days off.Will make sure I do lots of hilly miles out on my own , billy no mates as usual:smile:

My number for the Merlin is 159.White/grey Scott Speedster knackered looking rider near the back;)

I may even go down and ride the merlin route on my own one day in the next month or so.It would give me a lot of confidence on the day and an idea of how long I am likely to take.

lukesdad

jimboalee said:
Any decent campsites?

Depends on what you call decent Jimbo:biggrin: Plenty of good ones around Tenby the tour of pembrokeshire starts nearby in Saundersfoot nice area but can be a bit touristy. Newport in pembrokshire is nice quiet and if memory serves me right a couple of sites there, start of the Angel, I can find out from club members if your keen on that one.

lukesdad

Banjo if you want company for the merlin route let me know if I can fit in I ll ride it with you not promising anything but wife and kids are away for 10 days after easter, but Ive got to fit 3 days in Sheffield somewhere:smile:

OP
OP
Banjo

Banjo

lukesdad said:
Banjo if you want company for the merlin route let me know if I can fit in I ll ride it with you not promising anything but wife and kids are away for 10 days after easter, but Ive got to fit 3 days in Sheffield somewhere:smile:

That would be great if you can fit it in. I will send you a message with contact details etc. I suspect that my pace may be a bit boring for you though.

Top Bottom