Resting Heart Rate Poll

What is your resting heart rate?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
Mines in the high 70s. I know it's not directly related but I've just been diagnosed with high blood pressure. Bit of a bummer as I'm only in my mid 40s, non-smoker, reasonable diet and exercise but what is known in sporting circles as a 'big unit'. I've dropped the caffeine which has helped but stress is also a factor.

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
Mine was 72. However, it can easily reach 140 when I am running or cycling.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
140. I think at your age it will hit high 190s. I used to hit over 200. Now its about 190 top. Resting high 40s. Under anaesthetic about 30 :biggrin:

aerobrain

Über Member
I usually top out at 180-185 in a good spin class and look to average around 170. On my longer rides I try to average about 140 and try to keep the peak under 160. And I usually recover from intense exercise at about 20bpm/min for the first 3 minutes.

No idea if those numbers are good/bad/indifferent!! :-)

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Mine was 72. However, it can easily reach 140 when I am running or cycling.
Resting heart rate is when you are resting - the name gives it away! :thumbsup:

As fossy suggests - you should be able to get your heart rate way higher than 140 bpm when you are exercising. I did a 5 hour ride in my late 30s where my HR only fell below 150 bpm on descents, was 170-185 bpm on many climbs and got very close to 200 bpm on a 25% climb towards the end of the ride.

Reactions: 4F

ColinJ

[QUOTE 2564292, member: 9609"]I have no idea what mine is, but reckon obsessing about it is the first sign of hypochondria.[/quote]
Obsessing about RHR (or anything else) isn't healthy, but it can give you some useful feedback on your state of health and fitness so keeping an eye on it from time to time isn't a bad thing to do.

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
I meant my resting is 72. I have never worn a heart monitor or worked out my heart rate at max but it probably would top 200.
Your completely at rest (ie: just woken up) heart rate is 72, and you've never worn a HRM to know that??

I usually top out at 180-185 in a good spin class and look to average around 170. On my longer rides I try to average about 140 and try to keep the peak under 160. And I usually recover from intense exercise at about 20bpm/min for the first 3 minutes.

No idea if those numbers are good/bad/indifferent!! :-)
No source to quote for this:

POOR less than 12 Beats Per Minute (BPM) recovery
FAIR 12-20
Good 20-30
Excellent 30-40
Over 40 is outstanding.

I don't usually analyze rides but HRR of roughly 46 :laugh: Outstanding will do me!

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
Your completely at rest (ie: just woken up) heart rate is 72, and you've never worn a HRM to know that??
You put your finger on your neck and watch a minute go by whilst counting the beats. It isnt really hard but a HRM would be more accurate.

On the same subject, does anyone know any very cheap monitors that you can get? The ones that I have seen are either watches (£40-50) or come with a GPS (expensive). All I want is a monitor under £20.

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
There are mobile phone apps for the iPhone - free. Not exactly an HRM but fine for resting rate and recovery.
I have an android one which uses the camera flash and a finger over the lens, never saw it within 25beats of an actual HRM.

Then of course, accuracy isn't too important if you have a constant.

ColinJ

Just a warning ... My first (cheap) HRM would not display a reading below 40 bpm. I measured my RHR every morning and it was always bang on 40. After a while, I got suspicious and looked it up on the manufacturer's website. It was limited to something like 40 - 210 bpm. I got close to the maximum a few times, but never quite reached it.

The replacement HRM showed that I was typically at 34-35 bpm when lying in bed, first thing.

I still have that monitor somewhere. I must put some fresh batteries in it and start monitoring my heart rate again. It has been all over the place over the past 12 months and I would like to make a note of what it is doing over the next few months. I think that I would have spotted the return of my clotting problems much sooner if I'd been plotting a graph of my daily RHR readings.

Top Bottom