Resting Heart Rate Poll

What is your resting heart rate?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Maz

Guru
Interested to find out how cyclists figure here. I was a bit surprised at how low mine is.
How low is it?

martint235

Dog on a bike
I haven't taken mine for a while. It was taken quite a few years ago when I joined a gym and the instructor was concerned that it was quite high, around the 90 mark. However after 15 mins of exercise it was still only around 115.

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
Best bet is take a reading every morning for a week and average it out. Or better yet, sleep with HRM strap on like I did!

Minimizes the movement you do :laugh:

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
The better test of fitness though, is heart rate recovery time.

asterix

Comrade Member
I'm in the majority poll-wise, but I understand that a high rate is nothing to worry about. I've no idea what my rate recovery time is. I shall just assume it is excellent until I drop dead.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
When I was healthy, slim and fit, I got my RHR down to 34-35 bpm. As I got fatter and slower, it gradually went up to 55-60 bpm, so for me it was a good indicator of how fit I was, or wasn't! You can only compare yourself to yourself though - 50+ bpm is high for me, but it is probably low for a lot of people.

I haven't measured my resting heart rate for a long time, but I did notice that I was at about 60 bpm in hospital recently when I wasn't feeling stressed. Any hint of stress and it shot up into the low 100s. (They did regular blood pressure tests and the device had a heart rate readout. If a consultant was telling me scary stuff, my blood pressure and HR reacted almost instantly.)

Just before I went into hospital last year, my RHR was about 150 bpm and it stayed like that for hours at a time. (I wasn't physically capable of doing anything, not even watching TV or reading.)

Short-term increases in RHR can be a good indicator of impending illness or overtraining, so if your RHR is elevated, take a rest for a day or two and see if it comes back down.

aerobrain

Über Member
I'm currently training for my first century ride and although I'm doing much better with cycling than I did with running my RHR hasn't got as low as with my marathon training. Although maybe that's just cuz I'm getting old!!!

Top Bottom