Resting Heart Rate Poll

What is your resting heart rate?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

The Jogger

Legendary Member
Your completely at rest (ie: just woken up) heart rate is 72, and you've never worn a HRM to know that??

No source to quote for this:

POOR less than 12 Beats Per Minute (BPM) recovery
FAIR 12-20
Good 20-30
Excellent 30-40
Over 40 is outstanding.

When I was running my recovery in the first minute after stopping from a sprint finish was 50 as measured on my Garmin..........

I don't usually analyze rides but HRR of roughly 46 :laugh: Outstanding will do me!

The Jogger

Legendary Member
See this thread has led me to take my BP as it gives my HR as well.

Arm vertical with cuff by my chest 130/78 RHR 58
Arm horizontal with cuff by my chest 128/70 RHR 59

I have noticed that difference before when putting my arm horizontal, anybody else get that?

Spot the hypochondriac ^_^

Your completely at rest (ie: just woken up) heart rate is 72, and you've never worn a HRM to know that??

No source to quote for this:

POOR less than 12 Beats Per Minute (BPM) recovery
FAIR 12-20
Good 20-30
Excellent 30-40
Over 40 is outstanding.

I don't usually analyze rides but HRR of roughly 46 :laugh: Outstanding will do me!

I think I'm in the excellent to outstanding category, it is just about the only thing I could claim as excellent or outstanding about my fitness, so if you don't mind, I'll take it.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
You're not supposed to hold your breath
A nurse slapped my wrist in hospital for doing that! I didn't realise that I was doing it, but every time they hooked up the blood pressure monitor and blood oxygen probe, I stopped breathing while I looked at the displays. It was playing havoc with my readings. After that, I looked the other way and concentrated on breathing normally and the numbers soon settled down.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!

yello

Call the doc! Though I suspect it might be too late...

Took mine about an hour ago and it was 54. So I suspect it'd be somewhere in the 40s for a true resting pulse. I've never taken it first thing, lying down, in bed.... so I don't know.

wait4me

Veteran
I did a 5 hour ride in my late 30s where my HR only fell below 150 bpm on descents, was 170-185 bpm on many climbs and got very close to 200 bpm on a 25% climb towards the end of the ride.[/quote]

Mine would go way over 200 (or stop) just looking at that 25%
:surrender:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Matt is difficult to read at max output without a HRM. They are useful training aids, and useful when racing, but only to you, your HR is unique to you. Try testing your heart rate in bed just over 15 seconds. Do it after lying down for a while or before you get up. That's the best time. At a desk or at the doctors/hospital i am usually around 60 sat up getting checked, which is artificially high. Your resting HR won't be as high as 72.

As has been said, its useful to watch your recovery. If you have a HRM you can see how fast your HR drops to say 100 sat at lights after a good climb or run before. It drops quite quickly when fit. Well worth using one and using it as a guide.

Top Bottom