Restoration twenty

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
roadrash

roadrash

cycle chatterer
Fu

Funny because I did have a griffter with cow horns on .... This is weird
yeah....... along with half of goose green, riding em over the tipps at the bottom of lady lane, mine was same colour as the twenty above

OP
OP
roadrash

roadrash

cycle chatterer
Looks really well that.

thank you ^_^

screenman

Legendary Member
Nice job but I am having flashbacks to my 11th birthday when my Dad presented me with one of those as my 'new birthday bike'. All my friends had 'racers' and I got that bloomin' thing. I left it unlocked all over the place but nobody would nick it. I loathed it with a passion. I went and bought my own bike in the end, just before I was 12 by using my savings. That Raleigh Twenty had less than 40 miles on it as I refused to ride it.

Before you all think that I was a spoiled little brat, my Dad owned a bike shop and my parents knew the bike that I wanted. I used to go and polish it on Saturday mornings when I worked in his shop. Chores for a new bike was the deal.

First bike my parents gave me snapped in half on th first ride, it took them another 2 years to buy me another one, it was not so much lack of funds but lack of interest in their youngest son.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
The BB is the main problem with these. 26tpi threads, 78mm shell width and bad chainline with the stock cranks. You either live with it, buy a Phil Wood Raleigh BB (£200) or have the shell milled down and retapped or sleeved to ISO (£50-90). Ouch.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
I know, and they look good, but the chainline is rubbish. Can't just move the sprocket outboard because the chain fouls the seatstay. It's a really bad piece of design.

Top Bottom