Restrictions on cyclists now being discussed at Ministerial level.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
A thought; he's trying to re-frame himself as a law-enforcing idealist, knowing he'll lose his current job when the new PM is appointed.

Is he simply aiming for a different job. Lord Chancellor?

Cycleops

Legendary Member
At least Jeremy Vine has got the right idea:

Screenshot_2022-08-17-14-08-28-818_com.dailymail.online.jpg

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
So cyclists are against it, the AA are too. Every government commitee to date has been against it ...

... does this mark out Shapps as a maverick free-thinker??

No it makes him a headline grabbing d*ck for the looney and populist factions that think capitalism is ever upward and we can pollute as we please regardless of the dire situation we have helped put the planet in.

Jameshow

Veteran
No it makes him a headline grabbing d*ck for the looney and populist factions that think capitalism is ever upward and we can pollute as we please regardless of the dire situation we have helped put the planet in.

Cannot stand the man.

He gave us smart motorways too,

Wasted billions on hs2

Self serving Plon ker

1. Cycle registration implementation and maintenance cost prohibitive. Deters society's desire to move away form motorised vehicle for short distances and positive health implications. Never will happen.
2. Speeding maybe but a sledgehammer and unnecessary approach
3. Enhance laws for hoons who are caught dangerous riding on pavements, pedestrian crossings etc and there are many.

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
Maybe a bar code tattooed on our foreheads after we pass the highway code test and show our insurance papers?

I have long thought this an excellent idea. Maybe it could replace all of those plastic cards which clutter up my wallet? ;)

Last edited:

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Correct. But HGV, coach, SUV, small car, motorbike, moped all are subject to the same 20mph limit though, regardless of the kinetic energy, manoeuvrability argument. The only road users capable of doing more than 20mph that aren't subject to this are bicycles. I'm not convinced that cyclists should be a special case

There are, undoubtedly, more pressing matters regarding road safety than this. However, the tortuous arguments as regards why cyclists should never be subject to speed limits, under any circumstances, are interesting

I know what you are saying with your first point, it was in the Richmond park article that "cyclist travelling at 25mph has the same destructive force as an SUV moving at 4.3mph" but a mass related speed limit would be unworkable/ impractical, and its not just pedstrians speed limits are there to protect

Given motor vehicle have to have a speedo and non motorised don't, its also a practical issue of trying to enforce any regulation on non-motorised vehicle speed limited.

Certainly more pressing matters to attend to and Gov shd also be wary of the aussie example of more regulation (compulsory helmets) drove down cycle use and as a result increased long term death rates due to lower overall population health benefits accruing thru cycling.

PK99

Legendary Member
He also said that cyclists can easily exceed the new 10 mph speed limits
OK mate let's put you and Boris on a nice flat road and see you do , even on a legal ebike
Generally ride my bike at around 15 to 16 mph and only very good road bike riders pass me

Still. Good fodder for the red faced angry brigade

Morons

ALL roads (bar Red Routes under TFL control) in Wimbledon have 20mph limits

Many of the residential roads are on hills.

30mph is easily achieved on a non e-bike on many of those roads

hills.png

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom