Restrictions on cyclists now being discussed at Ministerial level.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tyred

Legendary Member
Surely he should recommend compulsory hi-vis too.

Correct. But HGV, coach, SUV, small car, motorbike, moped all are subject to the same 20mph limit though, regardless of the kinetic energy, manoeuvrability argument. The only road users capable of doing more than 20mph that aren't subject to this are bicycles. I'm not convinced that cyclists should be a special case

If you were walking 6yr olds to school, would you really be just as happy about HGVs doing 20mph as with moped or cycles??
[I have a good anecdote about a medium van hitting me very much below 20mph - the KE transferred to me was quite eye-opening! I would far rather have been hit by the world's most clueless head-down roadie.]

Be careful what examples you use when looking for Good Laws.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
If you were walking 6yr olds to school, would you really be just as happy about HGVs doing 20mph as with moped or cycles??
[I have a good anecdote about a medium van hitting me very much below 20mph - the KE transferred to me was quite eye-opening! I would far rather have been hit by the world's most clueless head-down roadie.]

Be careful what examples you use when looking for Good Laws.

I'm not happy about any road user doing more than the speed limit. I'm less unhappy about ones with a mass of 100kg than those with a mass of 10,000kg. But that doesn't mean those with the lightest mass should be subject to zero regulation. Limits based on kinetic energy are unenforceable so a blanket limit is the only one that works (except on Motorways of course). The interesting issue is why cyclists think the blanket limit should apply to every road user other that themselves

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
The law is that it is unlawful to drive a motor vehicle above the speed limit. Nothing to do with speedometer or lack thereof.

It remains incumbent on all road users to do a safe speed for the conditions. School, so what? It's the school holidays.

Speed limits themselves are a very blunt measure when applied as a safety tool. On a dry empty motorway in an evening, 100 mph+ would be perfectly safe. The same stretch of road at rush hour, with freezing fog, the maximum safe speed might be 30 mph... apart from all the idiots still doing 70. I once was caught out by a sudden deluge while in the outside lane of the M25. It was so inclement, I couldn't actually guarantee that it was safe to change lanes. Stopping in the distance I could see to be clear? I kept the lights of the car ahead just within view, which was a reasonable stopping distance, but had they ploughed into a stationary lorry, I might have been in trouble. I just deemed it safer than trying to manoeuvre across 3 lanes of traffic without being able to see particularly well. Or slowing down in the outside lane of a motorway.

100mph - that'll get some folk frothing!

FWIW - I agree with you that under certain conditions that speed can be relatively safe.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
The interesting issue is why cyclists think the blanket limit should apply to every road user other that themselves

It is interesting for sure - there are some sanctimonious cyclists who damn everyone but themselves and seemingly believe they are a special case when it comes to the laws (in-force or proposed) of the road.

Possibly a factor in fueling some motorist's animosity to cyclists.

Mike_P

Guru
Presumably would revoke section 35 of the Offences Against the Persons Act 1861 (as amended by the Criminal Justice Act 1948) which allows cyclists going too fast for the conditions, to be charged with the criminal offence of ‘wanton or furious cycling’; maybe being merely a member of parliament he is not aware of that.

postman

Legendary Member
Tory party,the country is in a mess fuel,cost of living,nhs,dentists.I have got to say i did vote for Boris,the thought of Abbott and Costello,sorry Corbyn running the country chilled me to the bone.But my word they couldnt have done a worse job,Boris where is the multi millions for the nhs after Brexit,and hows your pals doing the ones that got the safety stuff through covid,millions of pounds lined peoples pockets,and all we see is jump on cyclists well f.o. Tories.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Presumably would revoke section 35 of the Offences Against the Persons Act 1861 (as amended by the Criminal Justice Act 1948) which allows cyclists going too fast for the conditions, to be charged with the criminal offence of ‘wanton or furious cycling’; maybe being merely a member of parliament he is not aware of that.

The act you refer to seems to cover pretty much everything needed (based on your précis at least)

Gwylan

Veteran
I'm no defender of Shapps but Smart Motorways and HS2 predate not just him but the Tories in government.

He didn't make any improvement to the schemes did he?

What was the staff meeting like when the idea was floated? Imagine the exchanged glances across the room. The eyes cast heavenwards. Or the scream as the e mail was read.
The stiffled laughs or the OFFS as the initiative introduced.

Gwylan

Veteran
There is no requirement to have such a computer on your bike.

The current law specifies "motor vehicles" in the speeding section, which is why it doesn't apply to bikes. Shapps appears to be proposing to change that so it includes bicycles.

But the odds are he won't be transport minister any more after next month, and he is most likely well aware of the practical difficulties in attempting to change this. It WOULD require some form of visible identification, which most existing bikes don't have the capability of carrying. It would probably also require bikes to have an operative speed indicator of some sort.

This is just an attention seeking statement by him, hoping to gain enough visibility to have some ministerial post under whoever becomes the new PM.

Given her record on big achievements it might even get traction

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom