Result from reporting/video

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
MrHappyCyclist

MrHappyCyclist

Riding the Devil's HIghway
This comment was posted on the video page this morning my a YouTube user called sisax43:

"Does it give you a great big hard on? Did you notice the inoperative brake lights on the van turning right? or were just taken "with the moment" and how much joy you and your bum chum bike buddies will get from it. Incidentally I couldn't fail to notice in one of your previous clips that it is you Mr <deleted> that is jumping the red light SAD LITTLE MAN>"

The fact that the writer calls me by name reveals that it is almost certainly someone from the company, and probably the driver of the Astra van. My reply says:

"You are the driver of the Astra then. I really don't care that you jumped a red light. The fact is that your behaviour put my life in danger, and I am not prepared to let that pass when I can do something about it. I can see that the brake lights didn't light up on the van. However, the van didn't stop suddenly; it rolled quite slowly up to the stop line at the lights.

I hope you continue to drive for Biffa, but that you calm your behaviour and show consideration for other road users."

I'm not sure whether to try to take the abusive message further, or whether it is even worth trying. I am concerned that the manager at Biffa appears to think it is OK to give out my name to this person, though. I will be asking about that.

Clandy

[QUOTE 1352132"]
I'd tell the company.
[/quote]

And this time I would include the police.
Also make sure you get a screengrab of the comment.

OP
OP
MrHappyCyclist

MrHappyCyclist

And this time I would include the police.
Also make sure you get a screengrab of the comment.

Of course, I can't be sure that it was the driver who posted the comment. The poster has denied this and bragged about his/her ability to find things out. I responded with this:

@sisax43 It is possible that you are not the driver. IP address and ISP are trivial to find out, but name is somewhat harder. If you really have done the necessary footprinting to find that information about someone you have no connection to, just so that you could post an abusive message, then you may want to seek psychiatric help. This is not the behaviour of a normal, well-balanced person.

This aspect is funny really. I did tell the Biffa transport manager about it though. :smile:

400bhp

Guru
That was sh1t driving.

All you are doing is reporting that. He caused it not you.

I agree it's not nice for the guy to potentially lose his job, however if he was a model employee it is doubtful 1 misdemeanor would result in a sacking.:smile:

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
And another new youtube visitor has just come on MrGrumpy's video. It'd be quite nice if you guys came on there and told them both that that sort of driving is completely unacceptable.

I'll say it again MrGC, you're sterling and I really appreciate you making the effort like this. It's exactly this kind of thing that will improve matters for everyone out there cycling, and make people realise that they can't take chances without consequences on the road so easily any more. Don't feel even slightly bad - you might easily have prevented that guy from killing someone in the future.

OP
OP
MrHappyCyclist

MrHappyCyclist

In many ways I think it is only right that you know exactly who is making a complaint against you. Would hate to think a mr anonymous was making a complaint against me.
I don't see why; as far as the driver is concerned, it is his manager who is pursuing this based on the evidence that has been provided to him. But even if you were right I don't think it would be appropriate for the manager to give such information without even asking me first. If he wanted to take that line, then the appropriate action would be to tell me that he is not prepared to take the matter forward without revealing my identity and the give me the choice. However, it is unlikely that he would want to do that as it is an internal disciplinary matter within the company; as far as they are concerned, I am just a witness from whom they are obtaining information to inform their investigations.

As it happens, I think the sisax43 may not be the driver, so the manager possibly hasn't revealed my identity.

I'm not in any way defending the driver, 6 points and a £1000 fine for that, minimum!
I also tend to think when you get a piece of driving as serious as in the video, it should not go on You Tube until the police and courts are finished with it.
If I thought there was any likelihood that the police and courts would be getting involved in this, then I would agree and would make the video private. However, I have no intention of pursuing that line, so it isn't really relevant.

(I do think you are right to put this point of view forward, though, even if I do disagree.)

barnesy

I dont think the manager would have given your details. Not while the drivers fate was still being decided.

For example if he was laid off because of his poor driving he could feel aggrieved towards the cyclist and want some sort of revenge. Having the cyclists name allows him to find out where he lives, and its also worrying that he would know the road you cycle and what time.

BlackPanther

Hyper-Fast Recumbent Riding Member.
I have to say that I feel no pleasure in this - in fact I'm rather saddened. I just wish people would take more care, then we would be safer all round, and also I could enjoy playing with my video toy instead of having to use it in this way.

You should derive at least a little pleasure mate.......by nearly/actually losing his job, surely he'll think twice next time before attempting such a dangerous manoevre. Your actions could have prevented a serious accident in the future, maybe even saving someones life.

BTW, that's the final bit of convincing I needed......I'm getting me a helmet cam! Suggestions for a cheap and cheerful helcam please!!!!

Clandy

I'm getting me a helmet cam! Suggestions for a cheap and cheerful helcam please!!!!

Veho Muvi MD80. Between £40 and £60. Will give about 80-90 minutes record time. I use a GoPro HD Hero on the handlebar, and an MD80 velcroed to the rear reflector.

chigman

You did exactly the right thing MGC. You have done every cyclist a really big favour by doing this. I personally wouldn't give a damn if the driver lost his job or not, he was way out of order and threatened your life at the end of the day.:angry:

Steve

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
You did exactly the right thing MGC. You have done every cyclist a really big favour by doing this. I personally wouldn't give a damn if the driver lost his job or not, he was way out of order and threatened your life at the end of the day.:angry:

Steve

Its not just doing cyclists a favour... a pedestrian could have stepped out, etc.. protecting motorists too, after all why should those who behave have to suffer higher insurance because of this kind of driving.

Top Bottom