Result from reporting/video

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
+1 to just about everything above - I've read most.

+1 also definitely to... Sterling work MGC Articulate, intelligent way of operating and responding in my eyes.

Bman

Guru
The chances are, the Transport Manager probably just showed the driver your letter. After all, its a complaint against the driver, he should be able to see it.

OP
OP
MrHappyCyclist

MrHappyCyclist

Riding the Devil's HIghway
The chances are, the Transport Manager probably just showed the driver your letter. After all, its a complaint against the driver, he should be able to see it.
Not without asking me first. There are serious issues of privacy and security, danger of reprisals, etc. The driver only needs to see the evidence that has been provided, not the identity of the provider.

(However, see my earlier reply to reiver: Yesterday, 22:12:14).

Bman

Guru
Really though? I mean, if you write a letter to a newspaper, they will publish your details unless you request that they dont (IIRC).

I think he is the driver and was proabably just shown the complaint, and remembered your name.

I havnt bothered trying to lookup your ip/isp/name to see if its possible, because I cannot be bothered. But I would say its 99% unlikely that, that was the method he used to identify you. Especially if you dont use your real name, anywhere online (this is why Facebook fails).

Like you say, it takes a strange individual to research that info just to comment on a youtube vid.

OP
OP
MrHappyCyclist

MrHappyCyclist

Really though? I mean, if you write a letter to a newspaper, they will publish your details unless you request that they dont (IIRC).
Well, with respect, that's a strawman argument; I didn't write a letter to a newspaper.

I think he is the driver and was probably just shown the complaint, and remembered your name.

I havnt bothered trying to lookup your ip/isp/name to see if its possible, because I cannot be bothered. But I would say its 99% unlikely that, that was the method he used to identify you. Especially if you dont use your real name, anywhere online (this is why Facebook fails).
IP address and ISP are trivial as I have a domain name, which is quoted both here and in my YouTube channel, so a DNS lookup will provide the IP address and a whois lookup on the IP address will provide the ISP. The real name is harder because I have privacy protection on my domain name registration. I did a Google search on my username and real name and nothing turned up, but it is not impossible that they spent a bit more time on it and succeeded.

Like you say, it takes a strange individual to research that info just to comment on a youtube vid.
True, but such people do exist - OCD is a strange condition.

Regarding the principle itself, for the manager to reveal my identity to the driver may possibly be a breach of the data protection act. However, this is probably all academic because I'm still not convinced that sisax43 is the driver. Interesting topic for debate, though.

EDIT: OK, I just tried a bit harder myself and I managed to trace my name from my username without too much difficulty. Not with absolute certainty, but with a fair degree of confidence.

400bhp

Guru
Have you sent a link to the Manager so he can see the replies posted? If you haven't I would suggest you do so and voice your concerns that Sisax is the driver/friend of the driver.

OP
OP
MrHappyCyclist

MrHappyCyclist

Have you sent a link to the Manager so he can see the replies posted? If you haven't I would suggest you do so and voice your concerns that Sisax is the driver/friend of the driver.
Yes, thanks, I've done all that, though I can't be sure that sisax is the driver or friend. I've demonstrated to myself that it is possible to trace my name from my username with a reasonable amount of certainty if you know what you are doing.

OP
OP
MrHappyCyclist

MrHappyCyclist

BTW, that's the final bit of convincing I needed......I'm getting me a helmet cam! Suggestions for a cheap and cheerful helcam please!!!!
I use this one. It dipped down to £36 on Amazon last autumn, but it seems to be back up to £50 plus now. It's not bad (as you can see) but you do need to use a high quality memory card with it.

Brains

Legendary Member
For the record, the lack of brake lights on the transit is normal given the speed.
Any decent driver of Transits, Landrovers and most other commercial vehicles will be aware they re perfectly drivable most of the time without the need to touch the brakes as you use the engine/gears for most braking.

I had a guy (in a UK DAF Convoy) stop me last summer at the end of an Alpine pass to tell me that my brake lights (also on a UK DAF Convoy) were not working.
I showed him there was nothing wrong with the lights, I was just using the gears all the way down. I think he was astounded that it was possible

OP
OP
MrHappyCyclist

MrHappyCyclist

How long does the battery last?
I think it depends a lot on the conditions. In bright sunshine, I can do the one hour commute from work to home and then it recharges in a few minutes, whereas after the dark winter ones, it takes a good while to charge. I tend to recharge it at work, but there have been occasions when I couldn't, and then it has kept going for over two hours in total. I haven't really tried it for longer, but I could do a test.

Bman

Guru
Well, with respect, that's a strawman argument; I didn't write a letter to a newspaper.

IP address and ISP are trivial as I have a domain name, which is quoted both here and in my YouTube channel, so a DNS lookup will provide the IP address and a whois lookup on the IP address will provide the ISP. The real name is harder because I have privacy protection on my domain name registration. I did a Google search on my username and real name and nothing turned up, but it is not impossible that they spent a bit more time on it and succeeded.

True, but such people do exist - OCD is a strange condition.

Regarding the principle itself, for the manager to reveal my identity to the driver may possibly be a breach of the data protection act. However, this is probably all academic because I'm still not convinced that sisax43 is the driver. Interesting topic for debate, though.

EDIT: OK, I just tried a bit harder myself and I managed to trace my name from my username without too much difficulty. Not with absolute certainty, but with a fair degree of confidence.

I must admit, I did spend 2 minutes doing the same. I found your domain name and saw your privacy protection. Your real name/s didnt jump out at me, but I didnt delve any deeper. It really re-enforces (at least in my view) the fact that this person has a connection with, or is indeed the driver.

How on earth this person was able to get your IP address from youtube or a google search seems like pure bovine byproduct

OP
OP
MrHappyCyclist

MrHappyCyclist

However in general you should always be allowed to know who is making a complaint against you. If in this case you had not been wearing the headcam, the manager may have still taken your complaint on board, but the driver has a right to know who you are; you could be best pals of a workmate that has a reason to get you into trouble.

In Scotland, as far as the polis is concerned, you have a right to know who is making a complaint agaist you.

You are right that these are different circumstances from the case in question. However, it is interesting to explore them a little.

In the police example, I think it is important to distinguish between civil cases and criminal cases. (I know the law differs in Scotland compared to England, but I suspect the principles may be similar.) Also, I am not a lawyer, so this is just my understanding of the position.

In both civil and criminal cases, the court is acting as an arbiter between two parties.

In a civil case, it is Person A vs Person B, so it is usually necessary for a defendant to know who their accusers are. If Person A wishes to remain anonymous, then they have the choice of simply not pursuing the case.

In a criminal case, it is The Crown vs Person B, and Person A is simply a provider of evidence. In some cases, that evidence may be eye-witness testimony, so it is necessary for Person A to appear in court, but usually they are not obliged to testify. If they don't testify, it may mean that the case collapses, but it is still the choice of the witness. (In extreme cases, a witness may be required to testify, but that is exceptional.)

In the company disciplinary case, the manager is not acting as an arbiter between two parties at all. It is The Company vs their employee (Person B). They are investigating a company disciplinary case, and Person A is simply a provider of information. The company is required to act "reasonably", so they should only use the evidence that is available and not supposition. However, there is no obligation on the company to reveal the source of their information. If the value of the information is dependent on knowing the source, then there is a need for those involved in the disciplinary case to be aware of that, otherwise the information cannot reasonably be used, but that doesn't include Person B. The bottom line here is that the accuser of Person B is their company, not Person A, so the identity of Person A is irrelevant to Person B.

Top Bottom