Result! On speeding drivers in our street.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bad Company

Very Old Person

Bad Company

Very Old Person
How would that work? Is it possible to design them so that you can't drive over them at 31 mph, but can at 29?

Obviously there has to be a limit somewhere and it's surely logical to say that an average car should be able to cross the speed cushion at anything up to the speed limit without risk of damage.

Bad Company

Very Old Person
Why do you keep saying "minimise" damage???

Link 1
No evidence of damaging vehicles given

Link 2
Takes info from Link 1, which provides no evidence of damage.
Also links to ABD page, which cites damage to low-floor buses, speeding police cars and a Mini Metro. Hmmmm.

Link 3
Damage attributed to badly made and badly fitted car springs.

See, BC? You keep throwing up this kind of guff. Is it really the best that you can do?

FFS Mr P - I just 'cut & pasted' this from Link 1:-

3. Speed humps have been known to cause accidents and injuries. For example there was the case of the motorcyclist who hit a speed hump in Wood Lane, Isleworth in 2001 at much less than 30 mph. He was ejected from the bike and suffered serious injuries from which he is now paralyzed from the waist down

nigelb

I cycle along a straight bit of road, a cut-through, with plenty of speed humps, 30 mph limit.

Cars that go over them slowly have no problems, but I must admit I take some small measure of pleasure every time I hear a car grinding, having decided that the speed limit doesn't apply to them.

I'm quite sure the humps would take the bottom end out of any flashed up lowered suspension hot hatch with basebox booming - good job too imho.

Nige

Bad Company

Very Old Person
Right, so you're not talking about damaging cars any more, but making bikers fall off.

What were the specific circumstances of the incident?

How many motorcyclists fall off on speed bumps each year and how?

Typical Mr P debating style. Ask question after question in a vain attempt to win an argument.

You didn't read the links full did you.

nigelb

Bad Company said:
3. Speed humps have been known to cause accidents and injuries. For example there was the case of the motorcyclist who hit a speed hump in Wood Lane, Isleworth in 2001 at much less than 30 mph. He was ejected from the bike and suffered serious injuries from which he is now paralyzed from the waist down

and how many kids killed by speeding cars in a year?

nigelb

Perhaps the answer is to remove all the speed ramps, pay for far more mobile speed traps, and when a speeder is caught fine him big time, and also charge him the costs incurred catching him. So, if 10 people get caught speeding on a road in a month, and it takes 2 officers, a vehicle, and special equipment to catch those 10 drivers, each driver gets his fine, gets his points, and gets to pay 10% of the cost of the Policing. I can see this easily being £1000 per event. No danger from those rogue speed humps anymore, no negative impact on emissions, all sorted :-)

Nige

nigelb

Bad Company said:
Who is defending speeding?

You seemed to be citing a single motorbike accident 9 years ago as a reason not to have speed bumps? I was just wondering how many children had been killed by speeding cars in the last 9 years.

Whatever we do is a compromise.

Bad Company

Very Old Person
Yes. You posted them to justify your claim that speed bumps damage cars. They don't.

So you've changed your argument now. If you want to make claims then you have to expect to be asked to justify them with questioning. Moaning about being asked is not justification.

You know perfectly well that I have not changed my argument at all. The incident with motorcyclist came up while reading about damage to cars. You know that.

Bad Company

Very Old Person
nigelb said:
You seemed to be citing a single motorbike accident 9 years ago as a reason not to have speed bumps? I was just wondering how many children had been killed by speeding cars in the last 9 years.

Whatever we do is a compromise.

That was just one example.

Bad Company

Very Old Person
Not yet it isn't. What were the circumstances?

Obviously he fell over the speed bump - probably drunk for all I know!!!

As you well know that incident was just something I stumbled upon while looking at other stuff.

More questions no doubt?????

nigelb

Done a bit of Googling regards speed bumps and safety, hoping to find some statistics.

All I could actually find was lots of groups against speed bumps (and they all seem to have links to each other, citing each other as proof supporting their cause), and stories of people getting hurt/killed where speed bump requests had been turned down.

Don't get me wrong, I think speed bumps are terribly crude, but the fact is, 24x7, they do actually stop the nutters going too fast, even if they also inconvenience all the sensible drivers.

Nige

Bad Company

Very Old Person
nigelb said:
Don't get me wrong, I think speed bumps are terribly crude, but the fact is, 24x7, they do actually stop the nutters going too fast, even if they also inconvenience all the sensible drivers.

Nige

They are most certainly crude and there is little doubt that they cause damage to cars and tyres. I have to agree tho that they do have the benefit of stopping the 'boy racers' as they most definitely do not want damage their cars.

I would favour the 'rumble strip' type.

Top Bottom