Result! On speeding drivers in our street.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

theclaud

Openly Marxist
Bad Company said:
You do have a rather warped sense of humour.

Says the guy who cracks inane rape jokes! It's a comedy staple, Badders - the contrast between someone's lofty self-image and the banality of their predicament. The flasher the car, the more funny it is when it comes a-cropper in a minor way on an everyday bit of street furniture. :laugh:

StuartG

slower but further
theclaud said:
Dulwich College Road is great for really flash cars running aground. :tongue:
Don't get me started on DCR/Fountain Drive. The scene of my most spectacular cycling accident (belting down the hill, car pulls out from Kingswood Drive ... )

So Southwark have now made it 'safe' with a 20mph limit, speed humps and a semi-segregated 'up' cycle lane. This caused my second most spectacular accident.

This was at night running (not cycling) up hill with the pathway blocked by a salt container. The light made the drop kerb to the cycle path look like a white line on an extended pavement - hence going tumbling into the cycle lane and splitting my head open on the bollards that protect the cyclists from motorists.

Fortunately no cyclists were hurt in the incident. And to some this will be the clinching argument that all pedestrians/runners should wear helmets!

Just goes to show safety measures usually do have a downside and we can all produce anecdotes that appear to rubbish them. But overall the statistics are pretty strong that 20 mph/passive speed management does significantly cut deaths & serious injury - particularly in the young.

So BC the evidence is against you ...

Top Bottom