Result! On speeding drivers in our street.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
mickle said:
Yes and now you are too!
I know that American chap's created new life, but this surely pushes the boundaries of genetics too far!

BOT -> Rat run speeders - a pox on them.

Bad Company

The Next Stig !
Hmmm, a thread about someone who has done something to reduce the dangerous and antisocial behaviour in his own community, and you're complaining about it? by watering down the behaviour in your own little village? It's interesting to consider what drives you.

It's very simple. I just get fed up with so many cyclists blaming so much on car drivers. Of course there are bad and inconsiderate drivers who speed thru villages and past schools etc BUT they are a small minority.

By the way I produced a lot of evidence of car tyressuspension being damaged by speed cushions. You always refuse to consider evidence from any source that does not back up your own views.

Bad Company

The Next Stig !
If you don't like reading about people improving our roads, then the solution is obvious...

Whether they are improving is very much a matter of opinion.

I just wish they would spend more of the motoring taxes in fixing the potholes rather than damaging speed cushions and daft 'traffic management' schemes.

StuartG

slower but further
Speed hump damage is anecdotal, and not a problem for those of us who can drive properly.
Actually that is incorrect.

Driving our Micra below the speed limit fully loaded causes the official tow bar accessory to strike the hump. This smashes the connector so our trailer now has no working brake lights/indicators. No point in fixing as unless you drive at a legal speed unacceptable to most fellow road users (including me as a cyclist) it will just re-occur.

Except I don't blame the humps. Just the chumps that make them necessary. Does this include BC?

Bad Company

The Next Stig !
Slowing speeding traffic only affects speeding drivers. .

Wrong. The speed cushions are set so that you need to travel well under the prevailing limit to cross them without causing even more damage.
Speed hump car damage is anecdotal, spurious and unsubstantiated, and not a problem for those of us who can drive properly..

Speed hump damage is very common - ask at your local tyre depot.
You know the issues behind the potholes problem. It's s separate issue.

Yes but I can see no good reason why some of the tax generated from motorists could not be spent on fixing the roads.

StuartG

slower but further
Bad Company said:
Speed hump damage is very common - ask at your local tyre depot.
Can you explain how this occurs?

Do they burst or have the tyre deformed? (surely the impact of a hump@20mph is less than a minor irregularity@70mph?)

StuartG

slower but further
No it isn't. Your kwikfit mate will just be fixing the cars of idiots who try to speed over the bumps.
My question on how a tyre could get damaged let alone how the tracking could get knackered was how this could be done @20mph rather than a considerably greater, illegal and patently dangerous speed.

I guess wrecking the cars of these nutters may well be an unfortunate but ultimately beneficial justification for the humps. What we do know is they save lives. Lots of lives.

Hoping Osborne puts a special tax on Jag tracking rods :smile:

Bad Company

The Next Stig !
StuartG said:
My question on how a tyre could get damaged let alone how the tracking could get knackered was how this could be done @20mph rather than a considerably greater, illegal and patently dangerous speed.

At 20 there is less damage but what about where the limit is 30. Should I not be able to drive over the cushion at anything up to the prevailing limit without damage?
Hoping Osborne puts a special tax on Jag tracking rods :smile:

No problem. I drive a BMW now.:wahhey:

StuartG

slower but further
Bad Company said:
At 20 there is less damage but what about where the limit is 30. Should I not be able to drive over the cushion at anything up to the prevailing limit without damage?
No - you should drive at a safe speed which should not be greater than 30 mph. If you see a giant pothole, or a child crossing do you feel you should hold your 30 mph regardless?

Of course if you would prefer that all sleeper zones should be reduced to 20mph then I guess we would all be with you. Mind you 20 mph can still be too fast as most people actually choose to cross them at a lower speed (see the 20mph zone report).

Or are you just trying to wind folks up?

Bad Company

The Next Stig !
StuartG said:
No - you should drive at a safe speed which should not be greater than 30 mph. If you see a giant pothole, or a child crossing do you feel you should hold your 30 mph regardless?

Of course if you would prefer that all sleeper zones should be reduced to 20mph then I guess we would all be with you. Mind you 20 mph can still be too fast as most people actually choose to cross them at a lower speed (see the 20mph zone report).

Or are you just trying to wind folks up?

I wouldn't use the words 'Safe Speed' in these parts - That really does wind folks up.;)

On a serious note yes I broadly agree with you. The 30 limits are just that and when kids are about we should all be driving slower than that. I still say that the cushions should enable me to cross them at anything up to the limit though.

Bad Company

The Next Stig !
Rhythm Thief said:
And just what the naked arse
Never heard that one before.;):biggrin::biggrin:
would be the point of them, if no one had to slow down?

Surely the point of them should be to slow the traffic to no more than the limit?

What's wrong with the 'rumble strips'. They make it uncomfortable to drive too fast over them but cause no damage I am aware of.

Top Bottom