1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Retail Pricing

Discussion in 'CycleChat Cafe' started by Maggot, 1 Aug 2007.

1. Maggot

Maggot Star of BBC 5Lives Ballot Box Brigade

I have just been to a major computer retailer and purchased a printer/scanner/copier/tea-maker all in one thingy. It came with HP21 and HP22 printer cartridges. Replacement cartridges are £12.99 and £21.99 respectively for b&w and colour. Therefore replacement cartridges are £34.98. The printer machine and cartridges are £29.99!!!!! How the flying fcuk does that work?

I will need spare cartridges at some point, do I really just buy a new printer and throw the old one away? How has our consumer society finally reached this madness:sad:

2. Frazer

Frazer New Member

Buy a load of printers...take out the 'free' cartridges...then sell the printers on ebay for ten or fifteen quid., thus only costing you £15 to £20 for the new cartridges.

3. alecstilleyedye

alecstilleyedye nothing in moderation Staff Member

printer cartridges supplied with the printer are invariably not full. the whole printer ink think is a con. get yourself cheaper cartridges at cartridgemonkey. i've used them and they're very good.

alternatively get yourself a refill kit and save even more money.

4. Elmer Fudd

Elmer Fudd Miserable Old Bar Steward

If the printer is HP, they are well known for that little money raking plan.

5. alecstilleyedye

alecstilleyedye nothing in moderation Staff Member

well mine is ;)

6. marinyork

marinyork Resting in suspended Animation

HP aren't too bad, it's lexmark that are the worst.

7. barq

barq Senior Member

It's basically the Gillette model of sales. Flog the razor cheaply, but people will soon enough need new blades. I believe printer companies took it slightly further by actually subsidising the printer cost - hence them doing everything in their power to stop you from using third-party refill cartridges.

Sadly it's true about the original fitted cartridges only being part full in most cases.

8. dubman

dubman Über Member

you can argue this with most things you buy in the high street , including bikes and parts , complete rip-off - everything ;)

9. marinyork

marinyork Resting in suspended Animation

Although the model is undoubtedly true, I'm not really that sure that shaving razors have made that much of a technological leap apart from adding ever more razors and calling the "quad" to ever more ridiculous extents. Printers, particularly inkjet/deskjet have made gigantic leaps in technology even in just the last few years.

10. Keith Oates

Keith Oates Janner

There is nothing new in this, the very old saying of 'getting a sprat to catch a mackeral' somes it up quite nicely!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

11. Keith Oates

Keith Oates Janner

There is nothing new in this, the very old saying of 'getting a sprat to catch a mackeral' sums it up quite nicely!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

12. Mort

Mort Interstellar Overalls

It's a terrible con. Epson are very bad at this too - there was a report by the Belgian equilvalent of "Which" a couple of years ago and they were top of the culprits list.

I use Canon inkjet printers now, as they are generally very happy with third party cartridges from eBay - at less than a quarter the price of the official ones - even for decent quality photo prints.

13. chris42

chris42 New Member

Slightly different but still retail prices.
    I work in a company that produces paperwork to present to customs for goods coming into the country.

The other day, OVAL the Swiss cycle component manufacture imported 200 pairs of aero cycle forks.

The price they charged the importer was about £105.
    they retail at over £300!;)

14. Melvil

Melvil Standard nerd

So is the moral of the story, if you can get away with charging high prices, go for it?

15. Mort

Mort Interstellar Overalls

Yes, it's called the British Airways stratagem ;)