Retail Pricing

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Frazer

Buy a load of printers...take out the 'free' cartridges...then sell the printers on ebay for ten or fifteen quid., thus only costing you £15 to £20 for the new cartridges.

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
printer cartridges supplied with the printer are invariably not full. the whole printer ink think is a con. get yourself cheaper cartridges at cartridgemonkey. i've used them and they're very good.

alternatively get yourself a refill kit and save even more money.

barq

It's basically the Gillette model of sales. Flog the razor cheaply, but people will soon enough need new blades. I believe printer companies took it slightly further by actually subsidising the printer cost - hence them doing everything in their power to stop you from using third-party refill cartridges.

Sadly it's true about the original fitted cartridges only being part full in most cases.

dubman

Guru
you can argue this with most things you buy in the high street , including bikes and parts , complete rip-off - everything ;)

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
Although the model is undoubtedly true, I'm not really that sure that shaving razors have made that much of a technological leap apart from adding ever more razors and calling the "quad" to ever more ridiculous extents. Printers, particularly inkjet/deskjet have made gigantic leaps in technology even in just the last few years.

chris42

Slightly different but still retail prices.
I work in a company that produces paperwork to present to customs for goods coming into the country.

The other day, OVAL the Swiss cycle component manufacture imported 200 pairs of aero cycle forks.

The price they charged the importer was about £105.
they retail at over £300!;)

Amanda P

Legendary Member
It seems to me most goods these days aren't sold for anything related to their actual value - they're sold for the maximum amount the retailer thinks you'll pay.

They research this by asking questions in surveys like "Would this burger seem like good value to you at £2.99?"

Cartridge World seem to refill my cartridges very nicely, and they last a lot longer than the HP ones.

Top Bottom