Retarded development

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
Actually, to be truthful i dont use spastic, but i have been called a spaz before.
And, if you go by most of the youth of today, they wont really find retard offensive. If many in my school found it(retard) offensive then i'm sure many fights would break out, lots of argueing. But, from sitting in many lessons when no work gets done and lots of chatting, if there is anyone joking around or acting stupid, retard has been used by many in the class. No-one has ever taken offence.
Oh, the reason i dont use spastic is because i dont have a need to. I dont really go around insulting people, not because it isnt PC like what you are hoping for. Spastic isnt a commonly used word in school. I have head retard used many many times, with no offence being caused. Oh, except this time.

just jim said:
But I think perhaps you're willing to give it a go. :biggrin:

No way! I think I've covered just about every angle I could have. If anyone wants to my opinion on it there is plenty of background reading.

It is an emotive subject for me. One of the next studies I am due to work on is on brain injured people, some of which will have learning difficulties. It is very hard for them and their families.

Joe24 said:
Actually, to be truthful i dont use spastic, but i have been called a spaz before.
And, if you go by most of the youth of today, they wont really find retard offensive. If many in my school found it(retard) offensive then i'm sure many fights would break out, lots of argueing. But, from sitting in many lessons when no work gets done and lots of chatting, if there is anyone joking around or acting stupid, retard has been used by many in the class. No-one has ever taken offence.
Oh, the reason i dont use spastic is because i dont have a need to. I dont really go around insulting people, not because it isnt PC like what you are hoping for. Spastic isnt a commonly used word in school. I have head retard used many many times, with no offence being caused. Oh, except this time.

I think the main reason that you don't use sp@stic is a historical one. People used in more in the past, but as time went on realised that it was a particularly insulting word and so it's use decined. I hope and expect with time the same will happen with ret@rd. I think the delay in removing the use of ret@rd is a result of the bias against mental illness. People in the past have just wanted to ignore mental illness, tell folk to pull their socks up etc. There are still illnesses that some mainstream doctors don't admit are real illnesses. Post traumatic stress disorder being one of them

jely

Sh4rkyBloke said:
Best to leave it there, Mags. They just don't get it.

i find "they just don't get it" more offensive (although offensive is a strong word) than someone calling me any derogatory word under the sun... it's condescending, patronising and you make it sound like you're speaking to a 2 year old...

we get where you're coming from ... we just don't agree with it. There is a difference. Or perhaps it could just be a generation gap!

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
domtyler said:
I find, when it comes to expletives, it is best to use either those describing the male organ, prick, dick, cock, even fiddle stain or self-gratification artist. Otherwise, if it is to be directed toward an errant female member of the population, to make suggestions as to her loose attitude to choosing her sexual partners, whore, slag, slapper and so on. You can't go too far wrong then.

So is this a definitive list or open to poetic licence ? I note that you missed off tosser which could of course belong to both groups.

Sh4rkyBloke

Jaffa Cake monster
jely said:
i find "they just don't get it" more offensive (although offensive is a strong word) than someone calling me any derogatory word under the sun... it's condescending, patronising and you make it sound like you're speaking to a 2 year old...

we get where you're coming from ... we just don't agree with it. There is a difference. Or perhaps it could just be a generation gap!
It doesn't look like you do "get where we're coming from" as the same old retorts keep coming back which seem to be missing the point. But whatever, looks like we'll have to agree to disagree.

Now, what are you having?

Lager, Bitter, Mild, OJ?

Salted peanuts (or is it too personal to ask?). :biggrin:

magnatom said:
No way! I think I've covered just about every angle I could have. If anyone wants to my opinion on it there is plenty of background reading.

It is an emotive subject for me. One of the next studies I am due to work on is on brain injured people, some of which will have learning difficulties. It is very hard for them and their families.
Yeah, I can see that - and that's a nice quality you have there. What you say about it being hard for their families is also true, but most of these people are still able to realise when words like 'retard' are being used to deliberately attack those with learning difficulties, and when they're just being used as a general insult.

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
Look Joe you have no time to get involved in all of this, now where is my Nottingham Gazette ? :blush:

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
FatFellaFromFelixstowe said:
Look Joe you have no time to get involved in all of this, now where is my Nottingham Gazette ? :angry:

Evening post my good man:biggrin:
Infact, i stopped posting and went off because i had to go deliver them.

BentMikey said:
Wrong, it's "Your all gay". Far more insulting than using you're.

I've never understood why this was an insult. I' not gay, but I have no problem with someone thinking that I am.

Anyway this comment comes from a man who's username starts bent.....:biggrin:

Top Bottom