Retired policeman attacks cyclist

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Peowpeowpeowlasers

http://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/news...e-walks-free-after-road-rage-attack-1-4882365

He didn't get away scott-free, the punishment seems appropriate (although I think a driving ban would have been better), but the best bit:

After the hearing, Beckett said: “There has been a miscarriage of justice and I will be pursuing it through the European Court.”

Yep, being punished for cutting a cyclist up and then getting out of his car and twatting him repeatedly in the head is a miscarriage of justice.

Dave 123

Legendary Member
South Yorkshire police escape justice, nothing new there then........

Pauluk

Cubist said:
He hasn't escaped justice ...
Compared to what he has inflicted on his victim I think he's had a lucky escape with only 180 hours of community service. IMO he should have been given a longer prison sentence than 6 days for what he did and banned from driving for at least a year. He's an obvious danger to the public and even now he can't accept that he did wrong.

I'm no expert, but the fact that a restraining order was also granted as part of the judgement would suggest to me that there are clearly fears over this mans future conduct towards Mr Cunliffe and witnesses.

Cubist

Still wavin'
Compared to what he has inflicted on his victim I think he's had a lucky escape with only 180 hours of community service. IMO he should have been given a longer prison sentence than 6 days for what he did and banned from driving for at least a year. He's an obvious danger to the public and even now he can't accept that he did wrong.
Nowhere did I suggest he wasn't a twat.:smile:

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
The nature of the offence and his ranting about miscarriage of justice etc suggests to me that he is mentally unwell.In an ideal world along side his sentence he would receive some psychiatric help.

Pauluk

Cubist said:
Nowhere did I suggest he wasn't a twat.
I wasn't disagreeing with your post Cubist, justice was administered and as you pointed out he is and was at the time no longer a serving police officer.

I just feel that as is too often the case people seem to get away with criminal offenses somewhat leniently. I realise that the press like to illustrate the more obvious cases and none of us were actually present in court, but if the facts were as reported I just can't help feeling that the man should have been given a more severe punishment, that should have included having his license taken away for a reasonable period.

Nowhere did I suggest he wasn't a twat.:smile:

As I precursor to this post, can I also point out I am also not saying he isn't a twat, and not disagreeing that a heavier sentence would have been nicer!

Taking a big assumption, his sentence isn't unusual for a conviction of common assault on someone with no previous - in fact it could even be considered quite strong!

I wasn't disagreeing with your post Cubist, justice was administered and as you pointed out he is and was at the time no longer a serving police officer.

I just feel that as is too often the case people seem to get away with criminal offenses somewhat leniently. I realise that the press like to illustrate the more obvious cases and none of us were actually present in court, but if the facts were as reported I just can't help feeling that the man should have been given a more severe punishment, that should have included having his license taken away for a reasonable period.

I agree completely. However I have been criticised in the past on these boards for this, and told I need to think more inventively!

Pauluk

CopperCyclist said:
I agree completely. However I have been criticised in the past on these boards for this, and told I need to think more inventively!

Here's something inventive, what about listening to the victims. We have victim statements in court but I don't believe for one minute they are taken into account, not really. It just the justice system giving lip service.

May be we should force some criminals to face up to what they have done and make them do something for the victims. Perhaps his community service should be to carryout work that benefits the victim directly. If he won't face up to that properly or its not appropriate for the victim then he should be made to pay a severe financial penalty or face imprisonment.

I do believe criminals owe a debt to society as well as the victims, small or large depending on the severity of the crime. Payback directly to the victims would achieve both IMO.

I appreciate you couldn't do this for all crimes/criminals/victims but it may be a more positive step for some.

Cubist

Still wavin'
The nature of the offence and his ranting about miscarriage of justice etc suggests to me that he is mentally unwell.In an ideal world along side his sentence he would receive some psychiatric help.
This^^

For everyone that likes to see justice done (whatever that means) we need to make efforts to get to the bottom of why people offend.

Pauluk

Cubist said:
For everyone that likes to see justice done (whatever that means) we need to make efforts to get to the bottom of why people offend.
What if he's getting old and no longer feels significant and is no longer in a position of authority whereby no one listens to him so he just lashes out. What do you do then and how do you best protect future victims from this kind of behaviour.

I suppose at the end of the day it comes down to what each of us believes what justice is. I do believe in prevention and doing something about the causes of crime but I also believe that in an imperfect world restitution and retribution are required.

"What if he's getting old and no longer feels significant and is no longer in a position of authority whereby no one listens to him" - bloody hell, sounds like me :laugh:

Cubist

Still wavin'
What if he's getting old and no longer feels significant and is no longer in a position of authority whereby no one listens to him so he just lashes out. What do you do then and how do you best protect future victims from this kind of behaviour.

I suppose at the end of the day it comes down to what each of us believes what justice is. I do believe in prevention and doing something about the causes of crime but I also believe that in an imperfect world restitution and retribution are required.

"What if he's getting old and no longer feels significant and is no longer in a position of authority whereby no one listens to him" - bloody hell, sounds like me :laugh:
well, you start by making mental health less of a taboo, so that people who lose self esteem, leading to depression/anger issues can address them without stigma. I can't help feeling this guy is unlikely to have an understanding family around him. Normal sane people don't go around twatting cyclists. his subsequent bleating protestations reinforce this. His six days inside will have been an enormous shock to him, and I am kind of pleased that a 1990s South Yorkshire Detective Inspector (think Life of Mars on LSD-laced steroids) will have to do some litter-picking or paint some fences wearing a "Payback" tabard.

Top Bottom