Retired policeman attacks cyclist

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
"The judge said custody would have been “entirely appropriate” but added that six days Beckett had already served in jail after his appeal against conviction failed “must have had a very profound effect upon a man of good character”.

There are many men of good character where prison has a profound effect on them,but they don't avoid jail because of it.

perplexed

Guru
Blimey, that's a bit local.

I ride around Tinker's Corner quite a bit on the way in and out of the Peaks...

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
The fact that this guy is an ex police officer is not significant to the case. He has not been in the police for over 15 years. But it sells good copy.

I would suggest that the offender still thinks that it has been a miscarriage of justice and a restraining order has been slapped on him, makes him a bigger dic#head than we originally think.

But this is not the end of it. I am sure the cyclists will now follow a compensation clain in the civil courts for pain and injury suffering and that is really going to hurt Mr becketts wallet.

Steve

byegad

Legendary Member
I'm no expert, but the fact that a restraining order was also granted as part of the judgement would suggest to me that there are clearly fears over this mans future conduct towards Mr Cunliffe and witnesses.

So he may be retired but he still acts as if he's on the force.

As usual nothing has been done to deal with the actual issue. He should have been banned from driving and sent on anger management and not allowed back behind the wheel until he could control himself.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
TBH, I'd be too embarrassed to report that a 63 year old had slapped me. Grow some backbone feller!

The victim himself is no spring chicken at 60. The crazed attacker's age is irrelevant. Being confronted in such a manner, then severely assaulted shouldn't be ignored whatever the ages of the ones involved.
Perhaps the attacker is 6ft 6, and 17 stone. Therefore he's more likely to inflict damage than someone lesser in size and half his age.

Drago

Legendary Member
17 stones? Lightweight.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
17 stones? Lightweight.
Years ago i was slightly into Ju Jitsu. I gave it up as all i really wanted were some self defence lessons, not being taught how to do this hold and that jump etc. The instructor was a slight man about 5ft 8 9st. He always spoke of his delight in being confronted by "big lad" whilst in various confrontational situations. He said that their size gave him more to aim at, and he delighted in tipping the violent gorilla off balance sending "big lad" sprawling, tumbling to the floor!:thumbsup:

Drago

Legendary Member
I love it when the Jap-Slappers try it on. A Rap in the Nuts drops then the same as anyone else. Kinetic energy is just that, an inviolable law. The FBIs extensive research showed that martial skills give no statistical advantage in combat.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
So am I getting this right?

All police officers and ex police officers are thugs and know how to sort people out, and do so at every opportunity?

Does that not apply to soldiers, dockers, metalworkers, teachers etc, etc, etc?

I am an ex police officer and I am not like that at all. I think some peoples predjudices are trying to cloud the conversation. This offender could have been anything at all in his former life.

Whatever he was he needed jailing. As he was out of his car you can`t ban him from driving.

Steve

400bhp

Guru
I bet he was a right twunt of a copper - even more so for the poor saps that had to work for him:rolleyes:

Top Bottom