Returning a Thing

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I bought a Thing from an Online Retailer.

It's a techy Thing and it doesn't work. I'm 99% certain from the diagnostics that it's a fault with the Thing. I've checked all the standard stuff about latest upgrades and I've followed the instructions to the letter. I can't be 100% sure because it is interacting with other Things and it may be their fault.

I contacted the Online Retailer and they have suggested a warranty return. They will check the item to see if the warranty applies and offer me a replacement or (as it's within 30 days) a refund.

Now, I think this is a bit of a smokescreen as it will just involve delay and will give them the opportunity to quibble about whether it really is faulty or not.

My plan, as it's less than a week since I bought it, is simply to do a straight return, stating "faulty" and ask for a direct refund.

What do you think? How would you proceed?

(I'm being deliberately quiet about the nature of the thing and the identity of the retailer because I know what this forum is like. The thread would get derailed with opinionated responses about the Thing, or about the Online Retailer that have nothing whatsoever to do with my question.)

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Presumably you still want the Thing (well a working Thing) so send it back and let them check and replace it surely??

i think your over thinking it with smokescreens and delays...

si_c

Guru
If you bought it within the last 14 days then you can just do a straight return no quibble based on your consumer rights. After that period most retailers do offer a refund within 30 days regardless (check what their website says), but as it's faulty/not working in your setup you shouldn't have any difficulty requesting a full refund.

Edit to add: https://www.gov.uk/accepting-returns-and-giving-refunds - a quick google found me this, you can return for any reason within 14 days as I thought, you don't need to give any reason for requesting a refund.

OP
OP
Dogtrousers

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
@T4tomo I do want a working Thing, but I'm in no great hurry.

The real outcome I want to avoid is Online Retailer giving me a credit note. Because it's an expensive Thing and it would take me a while to spend that much with them.

@si_c 's link confirms what I thought about distance selling so I think I'll go down that route.

OP
OP
Dogtrousers

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Dogtrousers is keeping schtum about what this "Thing" actually is, leading one to speculate as to whether it is a device of a sexual nature.

Just saying.
It's more embarrassing/controversial than that. It's an automated chain-cleaning, DI2, tubeless, disk braked, carbon, power metering, ceramic bearinged, oversize jockey wheel.

Dag Hammar

IF the ”Thing” was purchased online and a Credit Card was used to pay for it and the retailer gets awkward about giving you a refund ( if that is the option you prefer ) then you can raise a dispute with the card issuer. There is a minimum value requirement for this action, it might be £100.
The rules on payment by using a debit card are a little bit different and I think the terminology is a “chargeback”.

As an aside, there is a growing trend for online retailers to offer buy now pay later schemes such as Klarna and Layby. Be careful using these as your consumer rights are not so great, that is why using a credit card is always a better, safer, option.

Top Bottom