Returning to Cycling HELP!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
I dream about macadamia nuts becoming affordable for the likes of me. They must be my favourite source of fatty plant goodness.
Yes.. I had an extended stay in a macadamia nut growing area in Australia, and got rather fond too.

You could get freshly ground butter, made of them at the local markets as well .

Very tasty, but maybe they don't travel so well on account of the high fat??

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
Looks like there is a lock ring on the non drive side that needs some sort of special remover. A LBS will be able to advise and sort the hub out. It sounds , from what you have said so far, it that the bearings are fitted in a little too tight.

OP
OP
M

MSF23

Regular
Looks like there is a lock ring on the non drive side that needs some sort of special remover. A LBS will be able to advise and sort the hub out. It sounds , from what you have said so far, it that the bearings are fitted in a little too tight.

I performed some tests with the wheel off the bike yesterday and it appears to be the freehub body dragging (hence why I may look to replace it), or disassemble everything, then check, adjust/re-lube where required.

In comparison, my older Specialized Tricross [every time I write Tricross my mobile spells out "orgasms"😳] rear wheel spins magically, and just keeps on going!

OP
OP
M

MSF23

Regular
When you say a 1Kg bag are you referring to oats? I can't think what else it would be.

I'm asking because the amount you are using is five to six times the standard portion. Most porridge recipes are 40gm oats with +/- 220 ml of fluid, any combination of milk and water one chooses. I use 80ml milk and 140ml of water with 40gm of oats per serving. To this I add level desert spoon of honey and creme Fraiche.

I eat porridge every day. I use 40gm of oats on a non-cycling day and 60gm before a ride. Gets me to lunchtime easily.

Seems to me you are eating an enormous amount of porridge and I wonder how healthy that is? 40gm of porridge oats is 160 calories with nothing added. If I've read you correctly your servings are 800-960 calories plus liquids and your nuts etc.

Not sure what to make of the calorific content of raw porridge; seems different wherever I look.

Yes, I agree, it does seem that I eat a lot of porridge in the morning. I recorded how long the last 1kg bag lasted me: six days or approx. 167g portion. I have a small amount of nuts on top with unsweetened soya and no sugar ever.

My approximate energy burning today from work is shown attached. I rarely eat anything between 0515am and around 0230pm - that's a long stint without food. I do know for a fact that I'd keel over with a measly tiddly 40g portion. There is no way on this earth that would keep me going at work, which is constant exercise for the entire time. I'm not overweight - far from it - and never have been. Manufacturers and retailers portion figures are guidelines; everyone's needs are different, and the simple truth is many people have sedentary lifestyles. Few exercise properly, and what I walk in a day, many people probably don't even walk in a week. 489176

When you say a 1Kg bag are you referring to oats? I can't think what else it would be.

I'm asking because the amount you are using is five to six times the standard portion. Most porridge recipes are 40gm oats with +/- 220 ml of fluid, any combination of milk and water one chooses. I use 80ml milk and 140ml of water with 40gm of oats per serving. To this I add level desert spoon of honey and creme Fraiche.

I eat porridge every day. I use 40gm of oats on a non-cycling day and 60gm before a ride. Gets me to lunchtime easily.

Seems to me you are eating an enormous amount of porridge and I wonder how healthy that is? 40gm of porridge oats is 160 calories with nothing added. If I've read you correctly your servings are 800-960 calories plus liquids and your nuts etc.
It depends on your metabolism, and how much energy you put into
any given task. 160 calories won’t go far when the sh** hits the fan.

Not sure what to make of the calorific content of raw porridge; seems different wherever I look.

Yes, I agree, it does seem that I eat a lot of porridge in the morning. I recorded how long the last 1kg bag lasted me: six days or approx. 167g portion. I have a small amount of nuts on top with unsweetened soya and no sugar ever.

My approximate energy burning today from work is shown attached. I rarely eat anything between 0515am and around 0230pm - that's a long stint without food. I do know for a fact that I'd keel over with a measly tiddly 40g portion. There is no way on this earth that would keep me going at work, which is constant exercise for the entire time. I'm not overweight - far from it - and never have been. Manufacturers and retailers portion figures are guidelines; everyone's needs are different, and the simple truth is many people have sedentary lifestyles. Few exercise properly, and what I walk in a day, many people probably don't even walk in a week. View attachment 489176
The portions offered by manufacturers are purse friendly, their small
size makes them sound like they are packed with energy, to me they a kid sized.

12boy

Guru
Since I've been flirting with diabetes and high cholesterol for about 5 years I've attempted to increase fat and protein and reduce carbs, especially refined flour type stuff and processed food in general. I frequently eat the same oatmeal breakfast as you do and it keeps me going in the same way although I replace milk with a big glob of Greek yoghurt which adds a lot of protein...12 grams I believe. Sometimes
I skip the oats and have 3-4 eggs with a couple of ounces of cheese, which melts in the ceramic nonstick pan to work as butter. This blubberous delicacy keeps me going longer, especially when outside in freezing temps. All this is augmented with a handful or two of mixed nuts when lunch needs to be postponedpost until 3 or 4. I will usually all the veg I am given at dinner and it is a lot.
Has this worked for me...you bet. My weight stays around 160 lbs, my blood work is below pre diabetes levels and my cholesterol is in the normal range. I am probably deluded, but running on more fat and less carbs seems to provide a more even energy flow during the day than the ups and downs I had with low fat and higher carbs. I do wonder about one thing, though. Does it seem to others that it is a lot easier to gain weight in the winter even if exercise levels stay the same?

PaulSB

Legendary Member
It depends on your metabolism, and how much energy you put into
any given task. 160 calories won’t go far when the sh** hits the fan.
I wouldn't suggest 160 calories will go far only that the poster appears to be eating 6 times the standard portion. That's one heck of a lot.

I have porridge made of 60gms oats, 100ml milk, 220ml water, spoonful of honey and one of creme fraiche. That will keep me going for 35-40 miles but obviously I'm burning reserves as well.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
@12boy like you I switch to two eggs from time to time - great little things eggs.

I certainly have to work harder to keep weight off in winter. I think it's being generally less active and possibly eating more comfort food. I tend to put on 2-3lbs and then shed them only to gain them again!!!

Obtunded

I'm looking to fix a tricross I just picked up. I need to see what the reta dining lock pin looks like. There are no threads and I'm sure there is a spacer of some sort. Can you post a pic. This is mine

Attachments

• 20200412_204050_001.jpg
    20200412_204050_001.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 5
Top Bottom