Revolution Country Explorer

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Domestique

Über Member
Just had a look, very nice :laugh:
Here is to many happy miles :biggrin:
Now can you put a Brooks on it ;)

Oh a Brooks saddle! LOL....I wondered what you were talking about (sorry I'm not very bicycle terminology savvy)......the saddle that's on is ok to be honest, nice gel saddle.....and although I've lost a load of weight....I've got a saggy (well protected) bum! :biggrin:

Hi again guys and girls - time for an update about the Revolution Country Traveller!

Firstly sorry I've not been on this thread but it's been a hectic few weeks for me.....but I thought I'd come back and give you an update on all things about my experience of my new bicycle.

I took it out for a good old test ride on the Sunday after I got it, maybe did 25-30 miles on it, plenty of big hills to have a nibble at, get my legs going and generally see what we could get up to. At first it was a git as the gears were slipping and grinding a bit but that all ironed itself out (perhaps it was me doing things wrong having never used STI shifters before).....anyway - all that ironed out nicely.

The brakes scared the life out of me (having always had a flat bar bike in the past) the drop handlebars and location of brakes really put the wind up me when I braked and it wasn't as "instant" as the old bike coming down a big hill. I've since found that I'm not applying enough pressure by riding mainly in a relaxed riding position with my hands on the tops of the bars rather than in the crouched drop position.

The brakes on the flat part of the bar are absolute godsends!!! As I'm getting used to riding the bike more and more, they give me the security of a quick hand position switch and I KNOW there will be plenty of brake there when I need it.....I'm sure as I ride more and more and further out, I'll get used to the drop handlebars and brake positions.

Now....unloaded the bicycle is pretty damn good, it's deceptively quick and very easy to handle.....but the fun really starts when you load it up. WOW - small word big meaning. I really do feel like I could just ride forever when I've got a good fully loaded bike, I've pootled off to the supermarket, loaded the panniers up and cycled back home and hardly felt like I'd done anything! LOL

I'd say the panniers are great....perhaps overkill for me as I just wanted one compartment to dump everything in....these babies have got more nooks and crannies than you could imagine. I should have bought the EBC bright orange ones when they were on sale back in Jan/Feb as they're waterproof and one compartment. These would suit someone needing to keep dry kit, maybe food, spare parts etc...they're designed really well, fit really well and are just a bit "overkill" for me.

I did buy a back light for the bike (one that you attach to the seatpost) but with the pannier rack having a reflector on the back it is a bit obscured under the seat. What I'm looking for now is a screw on light rather than one that goes on with a bracket - if anyone can help that'd be great - if you look at my pictures, the back of the pannier has a reflector on - I wanted to put the light there but it won't fit...and I've tried just about everything!!

So to summarise - it's a wonderful bike when you carry no load....it's nippy enough for someone like me who is a bit scared of these really fast skinny road bikes. But to truely appreciate and love what this bike is built for......get the panniers loaded up and feel just how wonderful the ride is.

AWESOME BICYCLE...and the customer service at EBC was everything and more that I'd hoped for.....and I've emailed them to tell 'em so!!! xx(

Pssst - also posted it on "beginners section" as I thought it best to keep them informed too! :tongue:

bauldbairn

Welcome back! :biggrin:

Glad your still enjoying your new bike. :sad:

I was going to point out that your rear light looked a bit obscured - but I though you would notice it once all the exitement of getting a new bike calmed down a bit. :tongue: I don't know if you'd realised, but there's a loop on your EBC tool saddle bag to attach a light to.
Failing that you can get a rear rack mount from Chain Reaction Cycles(couple of quid) it fits the Smart 0.5 Watt Rear light(bout a tenner). These lights are very good and very bright - I have two, one on the constant/steady mode and one on the pulse/flash mode(the batteries seem to last forever). :smile:

Light; £10.99 - Smart Polaris 1/2W (Japanese LED)

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Images/Models/Full/42479.jpg

Bracket; £1.49 - Rack fitting for Smart LED lights.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Images/Models/Full/29392.jpg

I posted someone on here last week, to look at your photo album. They were looking at the same bike as yours - hope you don't mind. xx(

All the best.

bauldbairn said:
Welcome back! :biggrin:

Glad your still enjoying your new bike. :sad:

I was going to point out that your rear light looked a bit obscured - but I though you would notice it once all the exitement of getting a new bike calmed down a bit. :tongue: I don't know if you'd realised, but there's a loop on your EBC tool saddle bag to attach a light to.
Failing that you can get a rear rack mount from Chain Reaction Cycles(couple of quid) it fits the Smart 0.5 Watt Rear light(bout a tenner). These lights are very good and very bright - I have two, one on the constant/steady mode and one on the pulse/flash mode(the batteries seem to last forever). :smile:

I posted someone on here last week, to look at your photo album. They were looking at the same bike as yours - hope you don't mind. xx(

All the best.

As ever - great advice my friend and thanks :smile:

No worries about pointing my bike out to people.....I'm doing it on a daily basis...... LOL:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

It is without doubt the best bike I have ever owned. Have not done too much touring but it's a bike you could spend all day on.

Hope yours is as good as mine (now 3 years old!)

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Lights, what has been said above or B&M do a lamp which is a straight swap with the rack mounted reflector called a 4D Toplight. not cheap but it does the job. (Though I find the mudguard sometimes turns the lamp on!)

Thought I'd resurrect this thread as I've got the same dilemma as 'dynamick' had back in March.

The EB Revolution Explorer has disk brakes and a steel frame - both of which are supposed to be better. But it just didn't feel right for me.

The EB Revolution Traveller felt better (and it's cheaper).

I'm used to disk brakes on my mountain bike, but I'm happy with rim brakes as I've got those on my commuter. But am I missing out if I go with an aluminium frame (Traveller) as opposed to a 'butted steel frame' (Explorer)?

I know I've answered my own question (i.e. get the bike you're comfortable on). But am I missing out if I go for the aluminium Traveller?

btw, I'm 5 foot 10 inch tall, and the 52cm frame seemed to suit me best - does that sound right?

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
Steel is apparently a slightly smoother ride than aluminium, but I've just weighed up a steel and aluminium tourer (Dawes Horizon & Vantage) and decided the vantage felt better so went with that one.

Also I'm 5'10" and I've ordered a 53cm, so I'd thin it was ok, but trial it to make sure it's comfortable for you.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
I don't think that you are missing out by buying an aluminium frame. It's telling that at least two of the recent world record holders for circumnavigating the planet used aluminium framed bikes.

I'll be using an aluminium framed bike for a 1000 mile tour this summer and have no reservations about it's comfort or ride quality.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
To quote my favourite web source of info on cycling

Did you know that:
  • Aluminum frames have a harsh ride?
  • Titanium frames are soft and whippy?
  • Steel frames go soft with age, but they have a nicer ride quality?
  • England's Queen Elizabeth II is a kingpin of the international drug trade?
All the above statements are false.

For me comfort is about choices. What tyres, what saddle, how long are the seat/chain stays, what's the geometry like, how much seat post is out (lots please), where are the bars relative to saddle height, what are contact points like, what's my position on the bike?

Sort them and frame material is broadly irrelevant imo. Modern ali frames are a revelation compared with those of only 20+ years ago, when much of the 'only steel is real' folklore was established. It comes down to what you can afford in the end.

Yes steel is probably preferable from a repair point of view especially when you are on the Ulan Bator Ring Road but how many of us do that really?

Hi, Im looking at buying this bike, and its encouraging to read good vibes about it. Sadly im not going to really get a chance to test it before buying it as I live in Spain. So its going to be a case of taking the plunge. But it looks great and yeah so going for it. :bicycle:

Top Bottom