RGT

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
keithaitch

keithaitch

Veteran
Signed up. Hopefully can get away from work on time tomorrow and make it! Is there a team kit?
Yes, the big ring Green jersey, don't forget to change @AndyMacca .

Whorty

Gets free watts from the Atom ;)
Just checking who's riding the SDW Friday frenzy Tom to defend our second place in the team competition.
I finally have a new phone that works with RGT and signed up for this race, and then saw in this thread you guys are racing too :okay:

My first time on RGT ... what do I need to do? Do I just log on to RGT and it takes me to the race when ready, or do I need to select this ride specifically before 6pm?

Is the start like Zwift (i.e. carry on pedaling in the pens) or Bkool (i.e. have to stop pedaling before the countdown?)

Are starts manic like Zwift?

Any tips/tricks?

AndyMacca

I finally have a new phone that works with RGT and signed up for this race, and then saw in this thread you guys are racing too :okay:

My first time on RGT ... what do I need to do? Do I just log on to RGT and it takes me to the race when ready, or do I need to select this ride specifically before 6pm?

Is the start like Zwift (i.e. carry on pedaling in the pens) or Bkool (i.e. have to stop pedaling before the countdown?)

Are starts manic like Zwift?

Any tips/tricks?
Good stuff 👍
It wont take you there like Zwift so you need to go to 'My Events' on the app a few mins before the start then choose the ride and 'join' it.
Yes it's like Zwift you can pedal up to and during the start, it seems to average your last few seconds before the start to calculate your launch so worth giving it a bit in the last 4 seconds to make sure you're in the pack from the off. Yes it's a bit manic for around 30seconds and the groups form. The drafting effect is strong so try not to get dropped, if you do just get out of the seat and hammer it to get back on, any hesitation and you'll be dropped like I frequently am :laugh: Automatic collision braking can be annoying, sometimes it's obvious as a rider slows in front of you but other times it happens in a group and is impossible to predict, again if you suddenly lose speed then jump on it as soon as you can.
It brakes you for sharp corners so dont waste efforts just before one, save it for the exit.
There's talk of dark arts, people able to position the bike by applying power when there are gaps but I'm not convinced it's repeatable in a race, the pack is manic and changing too quickly in my experience.
Sure the others will chime in with tips too.
Defo worth joining another ride 1st to get familiar with it though.
See you in the pen.👍

Whorty

Good stuff 👍
It wont take you there like Zwift so you need to go to 'My Events' on the app a few mins before the start then choose the ride and 'join' it.
Yes it's like Zwift you can pedal up to and during the start, it seems to average your last few seconds before the start to calculate your launch so worth giving it a bit in the last 4 seconds to make sure you're in the pack from the off. Yes it's a bit manic for around 30seconds and the groups form. The drafting effect is strong so try not to get dropped, if you do just get out of the seat and hammer it to get back on, any hesitation and you'll be dropped like I frequently am :laugh: Automatic collision braking can be annoying, sometimes it's obvious as a rider slows in front of you but other times it happens in a group and is impossible to predict, again if you suddenly lose speed then jump on it as soon as you can.
It brakes you for sharp corners so dont waste efforts just before one, save it for the exit.
There's talk of dark arts, people able to position the bike by applying power when there are gaps but I'm not convinced it's repeatable in a race, the pack is manic and changing too quickly in my experience.
See you in the pen.👍
Cool - thanks for update Andy. Be interesting to race with you guys again ... it's been some time :okay: I'm expecting to get shelled pretty quickly :biggrin:

OP
OP
keithaitch

keithaitch

Veteran
Good stuff 👍
See you in the pen.👍
great intro @AndyMacca thx for saving me a post! I'm starting to learn the dark arts of avitar positioning, especially approaching corners. Tonight on the French classic du Jeudi race which i stood no chance in, pan flat lots of big boys to squelch a little climber i was sat mid pack on the long straight on the outside of the pack on the side of the 90º corner coming up i accelerated as we got close top the corner to be level with the leaders still on the side of the curve and wizzed round it gaining a good 10m on them, which they immediately pulled back but i was super pleased. if you are on the inside approaching a corner fight to hold your line and don't get swamped. the next trick to be learnt is to ease off the power when on the outside of the group so as to then drift into the middle but without easing off too much getting dropped. I'm finding the drone camera view best as it gives you a better view of the group. Was pleased with tonight held my ranking position on a night that didn't favour me and won the masters category in the Classic du Jeudi against all those strong French riders. Great to see that the three musketeers will be riding for queen and koolerland tomorrow night. Big things are expected of you D'arLEEatan (@berty bassett ) on a course made for you....no pressure though just get the beers in for me and @AndyMacca I'm buying if you overtake me in the very old, decrepit category.

mjd1988

Guru
Enjoyed that. Always good to see teammates in your group! Looks like we did well

Once again did much better than average power would suggest I should do - weakest w/kg in the group, although another flat course with short punchy climb which suits. Maybe the draft dynamics suit a surge power profile as well.

Draft Definitely takes time to get used to. Much easier to fall out of draft, but way easier to sprint back onto group (but still a big effort). Great way to end the week

OP
OP
keithaitch

keithaitch

Veteran
Enjoyed that. Always good to see teammates in your group! Looks like we did well

Once again did much better than average power would suggest I should do - weakest w/kg in the group, although another flat course with short punchy climb which suits. Maybe the draft dynamics suit a surge power profile as well.

Draft Definitely takes time to get used to. Much easier to fall out of draft, but way easier to sprint back onto group (but still a big effort). Great way to end the week
I thought you'd gone at one point but then was happy to see you back in the group. I'll post the link to the results here when they come out.

AndyMacca

Yep RGT is definitely a good place for punchy rides, getting back on as quickly as possible is a massive strength. @Whorty and I got binned off quite early unfortunately. I did get back on a few times but had run out of legs to do it again.
Sorry for sprinting off @Whorty I wanted some others in the group to do a few pulls but they seemed happy to sit on so went for it to catch someone up the road, when I got there they were happy to drift back so ended up pretty much in the same bunch. :laugh:
Still I enjoyed that, cheers guys.

Whorty

Yep RGT is definitely a good place for punchy rides, getting back on as quickly as possible is a massive strength. @Whorty and I got binned off quite early unfortunately. I did get back on a few times but had run out of legs to do it again.
Sorry for sprinting off @Whorty I wanted some others in the group to do a few pulls but they seemed happy to sit on so went for it to catch someone up the road, when I got there they were happy to drift back so ended up pretty much in the same bunch. :laugh:
Still I enjoyed that, cheers guys.
I think we lasted about 8 minutes? It felt much longer :laugh:

I was glad you went off because, as you say, no one was willing to work. I was cooked so didn't have much left. I did try to hang on to the 2 guys who chased after you but just couldn't. So I sat up and waited for the guy behind who again just wouldn't do any pulling. I out sprinted him though, so a small moral victory :biggrin:

30 mins felt a bit too short for a race, would have liked it to have been a bit longer, closer to an hour. Nice rolling course though.

Drafting is interesting. None of that sticky shyte from Zwift :okay: Apart from that, felt fairly intuitive as a first ride. Definitely like the 'watts saved' on the screen - that made me feel good :biggrin:

No idea where the results are ... on the road I was 30th I think, but not sure out of how many (at least 32, I know that much :tongue:). Well done those as the pointy end of the race :cheers:

Top Bottom