Ribble 7005 Sportive vs Planet X RT-58

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
SirDickieBird

SirDickieBird

Popped into LBS for a job on my current steed and got discussing replacement bikes. He was very dismissive of PlanetX, saying they used awful components but to the layman looking at the RT-58, the main bits are SRAM so surely that can't be that bad? Wondering how much attention to pay to someone who has an interest in me getting them to supply a bike with their own mark-up...

Any experiences of longevity of Planet X bits? Ribble? Been looking at a Dolan too but a bit more. https://www.dolan-bikes.com/road/ro...sio-aluminium-road-bike-shimano-105-5800.html

vickster

Legendary Member
As you say it uses SRAM. Might be worth checking out what wheels it comes with. Stems, seatposts, handlebars are much of a muchness at the Alu budget end

I like Dolan in principle, see many fewer

What was the LBS trying to flog you?

Evans are doing trade in, so you could perhaps get a few quid off. Their in house pinnacles get good feedback. Evans also so hassle free test rides as well

OP
OP
SirDickieBird

SirDickieBird

Didn't mention anything in particular, just that they could "get something" better but was also talking £800-£900 so a couple of hundred more than the RT58.
Vision Team 35 Comp Road Clincher Wheelset is the wheelset. Seem reasonable from what I've read around.

vickster

Legendary Member
Didn't mention anything in particular, just that they could "get something" better but was also talking £800-£900 so a couple of hundred more than the RT58.
Vision Team 35 Comp Road Clincher Wheelset is the wheelset. Seem reasonable from what I've read around.
Better how? Personally I only ride Sram while most bikes have Shimano, thus for me barely any LBS has a ‘better bike’ regardless of cost

The frame finishing on my RT58 wasn’t great in terms of welds, but I basically bought it for £500 as a donor bike for upgrading my carbon from 10speed Apex to 11 speed Rival so the frame and finishing kit were largely irrelevant

any further on in your decision?
considering a PX myself but admittedly attracted by the prices. i want ultegra r8000 but dont want to pay £2k to get it on a bike

Top Bottom