Ribble bikes question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Do any of their their Winter Training Audax bikes come with lugs on the frame to fit a rack? I am vaguely considering one as my new commuter but can't see from the photo's on their website whether they do or nor and they haven't (as yet) asnwered my week-ago-sent e-mail.

mr-marty-martin

the alu blue ones? mine has, prittty much certain they do now aswell

monnet

Guru
I've got a 3 year old Ribble Audax/Winter frame. It has pannier lugs on it but beware - to fit a rack i had to bend one of the arms a bit to get it round the brake cable (which I then had to reinforce with some electrical tape). I don't know if that was a problem with my frame size or it's a standard problem though. Regardless, it's worked for me for almost 3 years.

AlanW

Guru
Browser said:
Do any of their their Winter Training Audax bikes come with lugs on the frame to fit a rack? I am vaguely considering one as my new commuter but can't see from the photo's on their website whether they do or nor and they haven't (as yet) asnwered my week-ago-sent e-mail.

Yes they do, excellent value for money. But can feel a little dead when compared to high end spec frames.

Another point to note, double check your frame size. These frames have a long top tube, you may need to go a size smaller inorder to get the correct top tube length.

ribblemarch2009001.jpg

Jonathan M

I'm sure as they push these as a audax/winter bike that from the audax POV they still have the fittings for racks. Mine from about 2004 certainly does have pannier racks & I've had a rack fitted in the past.

In AlanW's photo you can just about see the mounting on the seat stay for the pannier rack.

I'm considering a Ribble winter training bike. Looking at the web site I can get either a Xenon/Mirage 10 speed or a Tiagra 9 speed for the same price (£570).

Any opinions on which is better, or is it more down to preference. I'm used to riding with a Ultegra/105 mix.

Thanks for the further replies folks. AlanW, I think I'll be OK at 6ft 5in tall, I was looking for summat with a longer top tube anyway.
Daft question, how come Ribble can sell their machinery for what seems to be such a reasonable price, especially since they seem to be made to order, when something similar form Dawes, for example, would sting me for a lot more?

MajorMantra

magnatom said:
I'm considering a Ribble winter training bike. Looking at the web site I can get either a Xenon/Mirage 10 speed or a Tiagra 9 speed for the same price (£570).

Any opinions on which is better, or is it more down to preference. I'm used to riding with a Ultegra/105 mix.

Have you tried Campag? I would have a go on it before deciding if you haven't. Personally I'd go for Campag simply because I prefer it but on the other hand it will be cheaper to replace worn parts with the Tiagra since it's 9 speed, which is an issue with a winter bike.

The real danger with getting Campag is you might discover you prefer it in which case you'll be unhappy with your special bike. :biggrin:

Matthew

MajorMantra

Browser said:
Thanks for the further replies folks. AlanW, I think I'll be OK at 6ft 5in tall, I was looking for summat with a longer top tube anyway.
Daft question, how come Ribble can sell their machinery for what seems to be such a reasonable price, especially since they seem to be made to order, when something similar form Dawes, for example, would sting me for a lot more?

Ribbles aren't made to order, they're built to order around generic rebranded frames which is why they're cheap. There's nothing wrong with that though since the generic stuff is made with exactly the same technology (and possibly in the same factories) as the big name stuff.

Matthew

Jonathan M

MajorMantra said:
Ribbles aren't made to order, they're built to order around generic rebranded frames which is why they're cheap. There's nothing wrong with that though since the generic stuff is made with exactly the same technology (and possibly in the same factories) as the big name stuff.

Matthew

Ribble just stack them high, the old showroom on Watery Lane always had frames lining the walls, only ahandful of complete bikes, and often they were the ones that were waiting delivery or collection by the buyer. They also don't particularly sell any branded bikes, or didn't last time I was in the shop, which was this time last year. Remove the BSO trade and the fettling that each of those needs before sale (and after sale) and that possibly goes some way in reducing overheads for the business.

This time of year they'll probably have quite a few winter bikes going out the door so don't be too surprised if delivery isn't that speedy.

gavintc

Guru
I had a winter Ribble for the last 4-5 yrs as my commuter / trainer. A good solid bike and excellent value for money. I upgraded to a Kinesis this winter, it handles a little bit better, is a little bit lighter, but if I am honest the Kinesis is not that much better than the old Ribble.

Hmm. I've got the money. My mum died recently, and whilst any money in her bank accounts is being spent by myself and my sister responsibly, we found a sum of cash in the house that we agreed should be spent on something that my mum would have wanted us to spend it on. For me that would be a bike.

I need the bike as soon as possible for my winter commutes, so I am very tempted to just get the campag version (52cm looks right, comparing the geometry to my Kinesis which is a 54cm).

If the Ribble ends up better than the Kinesis then so be it (I'd be surprised!). :biggrin:

AlanW

Guru
Browser said:
AlanW, I think I'll be OK at 6ft 5in tall, I was looking for summat with a longer top tube anyway.

You may well want a long top tube, but my point was that "normally" you buy a frame based on the seat tube length. And "normally" the top tube dimension is in direct proportion to the seat tube dimension.

But this is not the case with the Ribble frames or any other of the "cheap" ali frames, they are all made in the same factory in Taiwan anyway.

Just out of interest, why do you think that you need a long top tube?

In my case, the first frame I bought it was purely on the seat tube dimension, mistake! Once I had finished building it up and went for the first test ride, I soon realised my mistake. :wacko:

However, I tried to compensate it by reducing the length of the stem by 1cm. But this only made the steering very twitchy, and it just rode and handled like a dog. :becool:

So I bought another frame, but this time a size smaller than I would normally ride. Then I swapped everything over to the new frame, and also reverted back to my usual stem length. Much better, in fact a completely different bike.

I also forgot to mention another thing about Ribble frames, they have a very short head tube, very short!!

So you may well end up with more spacers under the stem that you like. :ohmy:

Failing that you could flip the stem over, aka MTB style. But IMHO this looks pants on a road bike.

I am not knocking the frames at all, as for the money the Ribble frames are indeed good value. However, there are just certain aspects of the frame that people should be aware of before they purchase.

AlanW said:
Just out of interest, why do you think that you need a long top tube?/QUOTE]

It was an assumption based on a perceived need due to my height, which probably doesn't correlate to what I actually need. What I really need to do is sit my bum of a few bikes & hopefully test-ride them to see what fits, as well as properly/correctly establishing exactly what size frame I need.

Top Bottom