Ribble CGR Ti

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
Err, the oldest millenials are now in their late 30s, so wouldn't consider someone 47 to be old. I wish people would stop confusing Gen Z for millenials.
Hence maybe... I know that many Millenials are in their 30s ;)

Seriously considering ribble cgr Ti with shimano 105 and 700c wheels so more a general purpose bike than pure gravel 650b wheels and single chainring. Also if anyone has cgr with the other frames in the range Al Sl or 725 nice hear your experience too.
When I first heard of gravel bikes , just the cycle trade finding another way to relieve cyclist of cash. But last summer I started using my old touring bike , nice comfy 700 x 30 marathon racer tyres ,the ability to explore interesting bridlepaths.
Why titanium well I have sought the opinions of many titanium owners all have positive views but what clinched it was one of my club mates " get titanium it's the old blokes frame material ". Look forward to hearing your thoughts and opinions.
I'm now on the same 'search' journey. I'll be returning to UK (Yorkshire) in a few months after many years in far sunnier climes. The Ribble Ti bikes are up there at the top of my short shortlist. I'm now leaning to the CGR rather than the Endurance. Reasons - will give me more wheel & especially tyre options particularly with mudguards (think will be essential, & not only when I'm out with others) plus the geometry seems to be more relaxed and towards the Endurance end that I want. Won't be doing any races, will do some sportives and fancy getting into Audax. I'm not an old guy but as Ive turned 60 gotta accept a few changes ! The CGR ti with 105/ ultegra 50/44 and prob 11-32/34 35+ tyres for the darker, grottier weather and iffy roads and another wheel/tyre set for weekend club runs seems to be a good option.

I've looked at all those mentioned in this stream but keep coming back to CGR TI. I'll still have my beautiful Italian mistress (Colnago) for the fine days and events

What did you finally get? Anybody else have thoughts.?

OP
OP
Juan Kog

Juan Kog

permanently grumpy
I'm now on the same 'search' journey. I'll be returning to UK (Yorkshire) in a few months after many years in far sunnier climes. The Ribble Ti bikes are up there at the top of my short shortlist. I'm now leaning to the CGR rather than the Endurance. Reasons - will give me more wheel & especially tyre options particularly with mudguards (think will be essential, & not only when I'm out with others) plus the geometry seems to be more relaxed and towards the Endurance end that I want. Won't be doing any races, will do some sportives and fancy getting into Audax. I'm not an old guy but as Ive turned 60 gotta accept a few changes ! The CGR ti with 105/ ultegra 50/44 and prob 11-32/34 35+ tyres for the darker, grottier weather and iffy roads and another wheel/tyre set for weekend club runs seems to be a good option.

I've looked at all those mentioned in this stream but keep coming back to CGR TI. I'll still have my beautiful Italian mistress (Colnago) for the fine days and events

What did you finally get? Anybody else have thoughts.?
This is embarrassing, although the CGR Ti with the same build you favour is still very firmly first choice,
I haven’t actually got round to buying one . I’m blaming the virus . I realise I could make an internet purchase , but I want to visit a Ribble showroom before committing .

Tom B

Guru
This is embarrassing, although the CGR Ti with the same build you favour is still very firmly first choice,
I haven’t actually got round to buying one . I’m blaming the virus . I realise I could make an internet purchase , but I want to visit a Ribble showroom before committing .

Likewise. A colleague has bought one of the none ti 700c versions of the CGR for which there was a waiting list. He's pretty chuffed with it. I've always said Ti will be my retirement bike. But the CGR Ti might be my next all purpose bike after Ive finished with kiddiebike seats and the likes.

Last edited:

Johnno260

Veteran
I keep looking at the Ribble Ti bikes I must say, only thing that is putting me off is the hydro brakes, I would prefer mechanical ones, the Spyres I had on my Boardman were fantastic.

I keep looking at Reily frames as well, and I will take a look at Spa.

Tom B

Guru
I keep looking at the Ribble Ti bikes I must say, only thing that is putting me off is the hydro brakes, I would prefer mechanical ones, the Spyres I had on my Boardman were fantastic.

Dont let that put you off I've used both and much prefer the hydros. They're almost fit and forgot. Speak with Ribble see of they'll supply it with brakes of your choosing or without.

Johnno260

Veteran
Dont let that put you off I've used both and much prefer the hydros. They're almost fit and forgot. Speak with Ribble see of they'll supply it with brakes of your choosing or without.

Thanks I will, the wife is talking about a trip to Bluewater this year at some point, I can drop in there and speak with them.

vickster

Legendary Member

I have a Sabbath AR1 from Spa with Spyres...if you're ever passing SW London-ish, you're welcome to take a look (it's SRAM rather than Shimano though)

I looked at / test rode them all, the AR1 offered me best bang for buck in the spec I wanted (all the others Enigma, Reilly, Van Nic, J Guillem would all have been at least a grand more and all had some sort of compromise, mostly mounting points). The JG Orient was a very close second despite the cost difference, gorgeous

Johnno260

Veteran
I have a Sabbath AR1 from Spa with Spyres...if you're ever passing SW London-ish, you're welcome to take a look (it's SRAM rather than Shimano though)

I looked at / test rode them all, the AR1 offered me best bang for buck in the spec I wanted (all the others Enigma, Reilly, Van Nic, J Guillem would all have been at least a grand more and all had some sort of compromise, mostly mounting points). The JG Orient was a very close second despite the cost difference, gorgeous

OK Thanks Vikster.

Like you said cost has to be factored as the Spa bikes are really nicely priced, the 3 main ones I looked at are the Reilly, Ribble and Spa, Ribble mainly as I already own one and it's fantastic, Reilly as it was local, and Spa for the awesome pricing.

If you're looking at Ti - check out the Planet X offerings too.

Spitfire, Hurricane, Tempest.

Clearances on the Tempest are huge. You can get properly chunky tyres and full mudguards on with no bother. And I think it's a 1x on the site but they will do a double chainset if you ask.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
+1 For Planet X.
I have both the Hurricane and the Tempest. Both are lovely, well made frames with a ton of clearances.
Prices have risen quite a bit since last year, as with most bikes but they are still great value for money.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
One option which hasn't been mentioned is the Kinesis Tripster ATRV3, titanium frameset, which I took delivery of December 2020. From a very brief look prices are similar but I confess I have not done a detailed comparison.

I bought mine with three uses in mind; winter bike, gravel bike and occasional tourer. She certainly ticks the boxes for winter and gravel riding, I've yet to go on a tour. I run mine with Schwalbe G-One All-round tyres which let me ride comfortably at 18-19 on road and up to 22-23 at a push. On gravel they give all the grip I've needed so far!

It's a great bike which I really enjoy riding. I was surprised by the overall weight. I didn't look closely enough at this and expected the bike to be lighter. Not something I fret about, just a minor surprise.

Kinesis ATRV3

Last edited:
Top Bottom