Ribble winter trainer 7005

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

J1888

Über Member
At £549 how good are these entry-level models? I'm not gemmed up on specs etc but guess they're fairly basic.

Wanting to get a road bike (currently have a Cannondale Quick C4 2013 hybrid) and wondering if the Ribble is a good first choice...it 'looks' awesome

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
They're fantastic

OP
OP
J

J1888

Über Member
Good to hear - as they're a mail order outfit I suppose I'd take it to LBS to be built - much would that cost?

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
The Ribble bikes are excellent.
Ribble themselves are in my experience not.
Personally I'd never buy anything more complex than socks from Ribble..... but to be fair others have had better experiences.

I'd also have a look at the entry level bikes from Planet X - they're also excellent bikes.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
£520 at the moment - most basic build - Sora. I would change the wheels - Aksiums would make it £574. Change the tyres to Lithions and you've still got change from £600. The downsides - it's not the lightest of bikes, or the most responsive, and the mudguard clearance is minimal - you can't really fit bigger than 23mm tyres, and the guards will still clog up with mud pretty quickly. The frame could do with upgrading to allow more clearance.

Tommy2

Über Member
Have a look on eBay, usually a few for sale on there for a couple of hundred £.

Drago

Legendary Member
If you're a heavy lad or have unusually powerful legs I'd avoid. I borrowed one off a guy in another department for a morning last year to see what In thought before I bought, and laying down the power the frame visibly.flexed in the BB/downturn/seat stay area. It could simply be an unwanted function of the large frame size, but something to consider.

OP
OP
J

J1888

Über Member
All very helpful responses, thank you.

Drago - I'm tall but fairly slim, wouldn't say my legs are hugely powerful...though they're getting there :-)

OP
OP
J

J1888

Über Member
Thanks Vickster - i'm roughly 6'2...that Giant looks a cracking deal, but prob not gonna buy for a couple of months.

Main reason I was interested in the Ribble was beacause a) it looks awesome b) it has mudguards c) I want a road bike d) It was cheap and e) I heard it was popular (not always a sign that it's brilliant, but still...)

Top Bottom