Ricco questions the tests

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
Yep, he's starting down the full Landis route... doesn't he realize that this is destined to fail?

Keith Oates

Janner
The manufacturers of the latest EPO were apparently working with WADA and put some trace element in the mix so that it could be discovered quite easily, now that is what I call cooperation!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Keith Oates said:
The manufacturers of the latest EPO were apparently working with WADA and put some trace element in the mix so that it could be discovered quite easily, now that is what I call cooperation!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Oh excellent!!xx(:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

...unless it's one of the Chinese/Russian/Wherever clones...xx(

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
What's more - they didn't reveal this before the Tour, so for once, people were caught who thought they had no chance of being caught. I expect it is the official 'unavailability' of the tests that Ricco will question in his defence. I hope he gets hammered.

yello

Well, it isn't fair is it? I mean, had he have known about the tests then he wouldn't have doped would he? Stands to reason.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
This article in The guardian makes some damning accusations about Ricco -

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2008/jul/22/tourdefrance.cycling2

Jim said:
Fahey noted that there was increased cooperation between sports authorities and drug manufacturers. "There's more and more of this occurring," he said. "The more cooperation the scientists can have with the drug companies in the detection of performance-enhancing drugs the greater the likelihood is they will be detected when tests are undertaken."
This is absolutely brilliant. Just the kind of joined up working that is needed. However, correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't there 'cloned' versions of EPO available, from labs in Russia and China? In which case, how long before these labs are turning out the new version minus it's distinctive tracking molecule?

Keith Oates

Janner
Unfortunately you are right Chuffy, it is and always will be a losing battle I fear. The Chinese government may put a stop to this but the Russians, never!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

yello

It's a game isn't it? And the testers seem always to have been playing catch up. I think this is the first example of testers being ahead of the game (courtesy of the manufacturers). It's a step in the right direction methinks. They need to somehow tackle the 'other' sources (not easy) and - as David Millar is hot on - get the culture changed from doping to non-doping. I think the latter is happening, it's turds like Ricco that are the step backwards.

Top Bottom