Richard 3rd 100 mile fixed gear ride

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
A change of plans has freed up this weekend for me... I'm quite tempted!
Good stuff, you will be very welcome, somehow a fixed ride has a different dynamic, everyone appreciates and respects each other. Much talk of gear inches.

mikeee

Hi all, would very much like to journey down from Yorkshire for one of these rides but I'm not sure if I'm been a bit thick? Are there 2 rides running? April and May? Also has a day / date been decided, I can only really make a Sunday ride due to work.

Hi all, would very much like to journey down from Yorkshire for one of these rides but I'm not sure if I'm been a bit thick? Are there 2 rides running? April and May? Also has a day / date been decided, I can only really make a Sunday ride due to work.
Yes two rides, the first one in April is open to anyone, the second in May is a fixed gear ride and I think we are probably looking at Sunday for both rides.

jazzkat

Fixed wheel fanatic.
An appropriate day to send out a reminder. Come on fixed riders where are you? Ok, I will put it to last years 100 mile gang @dave r , @4F , @jazzkat , @colly, should we be more inclusive and allow single speed to join in [and hopefully convert them]?

Keep it fixed.
This is my immediate thought too, I think there is something particular about riding fixed and the ride was originally devised as a fixed ride.
To be honest I'm surprised that there's not more people interested. Great countryside, great company and even though 100 sounds like a big number it was one of the easiest big rides I've done. The miles just disappeared chatting to the others.
This is just a great day out on the bike.

I don't really understand either, for the most part fixed riders are, by definition fairly hardcore and from the other thread I am running there are enough of us. The other ride I am doing on 18th April, or is it the 19th? Anyway, this is a lovely scenic ride yet I am having trouble attracting folk even though we are only 23 miles from Leicester where there are quite a few CC'ers.

D

Deleted member 1258

I don't really understand either, for the most part fixed riders are, by definition fairly hardcore and from the other thread I am running there are enough of us. The other ride I am doing on 18th April, or is it the 19th? Anyway, this is a lovely scenic ride yet I am having trouble attracting folk even though we are only 23 miles from Leicester where there are quite a few CC'ers.

Its something I've noticed with other Cycle Chat rides I've done, for some reason its often difficult to get people to come out and ride, I know people have work and personal commitments that tend to get in the way and some people are too far away, but we're supposed to be cyclists on here, we're supposed to enjoy riding our bikes and I would have thought we'd be more eager to take the chance to do a ride.

Its something I've noticed with other Cycle Chat rides I've done, for some reason its often difficult to get people to come out and ride, I know people have work and personal commitments that tend to get in the way and some people are too far away, but we're supposed to be cyclists on here, we're supposed to enjoy riding our bikes and I would have thought we'd be more eager to take the chance to do a ride.
Well you know what the cycling is like here Dave, if you drew up a list of things you would like on a bike ride [for me], it would contain the following, quiet roads check, very low traffic count check, excellent road surfaces check, scenic countryside check, no major roads check, great cafe stops check and top it all free tea and cakes at the end of the ride. Throw into that a chance to ride with one of the top amateur riders in the country. Rubbish really, must try harder.

D

Deleted member 1258

Well you know what the cycling is like here Dave, if you drew up a list of things you would like on a bike ride [for me], it would contain the following, quiet roads check, very low traffic count check, excellent road surfaces check, scenic countryside check, no major roads check, great cafe stops check and top it all free tea and cakes at the end of the ride. Throw into that a chance to ride with one of the top amateur riders in the country. Rubbish really, must try harder.

It makes a lovely change, I'm so used to the cut and thrust of city traffic that a few hours on quiet roads makes for a refreshing change, round here even our quiet roads can get lively, chuck in good company and it makes for a good day out on the bike, I do far to many lone rides these days.

SimonJKH

Blue collar cyclist
I'm sold!

Thought I had better make a list of who is coming

Self
Partner in crime, dr_pink
@dave r
@jazzkat
@Norry1
@SimonJKH

Possible
@mikeee

Well that is 6 of us, possibly 7. Should I be advertising this elsewhere I wonder? Feel free to draw attention to it yourselves.

On another note, I fitted mudguards to the new steed accompanied by a fair amount of swearing, happens every time. I would take a picture but I would have to retrieve it from the next county, a tad windy here.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Have you thought about offering a shorter option? Not sure if you can with your route but I have found with my Llandudno ride that a lot of people think 100 miles is too much and also alternative start/finish points give a bit more flexibility. I've got about half doing the full ride with the other half doing bits of it

As it is I don't have a fixed gear bike :sad:

Top Bottom