Richard 3rd 100 mile fixed gear ride

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Norry1

Legendary Member
8.30 is okay with me. 1 cafe stop and one water stop would be ideal for me.

Looking forward to it - hope the weather god is playing nicely.

Martin

Well, it looks as though the weather gods are indeed being kind, at the moment the forecast is dry, moderate winds and 16-17C and even though it could still change we find that the forecast temps are usually about 2C down on actual for Rutland, so looking good. Even today with the wind and rain the current temp is above 12C and the Met Office forecast a max of 11C.
Paging @SimonJKH and @mikeee [I assume Dave is fine with any arrangements].
Anyone else thinking of coming along will be very welcome, don't be put off by the distance, one of our number is well into his 60's and manages just fine. We keep a very steady pace and all look out for each other. Looking forward to a great day on the bike.

SimonJKH

Blue collar cyclist
Well I was really looking forward to some fixed-wheel fun, but other commitments (a colleague has been taken seriously ill, so I'm working every day to help cover) mean I can't devote a day to cycling at the moment. sorry :cry:

I kept this ride as fixed gear, but one by one people are dropping out, I haven't heard from @mikeee since 31st March so have no idea if he is coming or not, if he isn't then that will be just three of us. Myself and dr_pink will ride whatever, but very disappointed, as Dave says:

Its something I've noticed with other Cycle Chat rides I've done, for some reason its often difficult to get people to come out and ride, I know people have work and personal commitments that tend to get in the way and some people are too far away, but we're supposed to be cyclists on here, we're supposed to enjoy riding our bikes and I would have thought we'd be more eager to take the chance to do a ride.

Unless I get requests in the future to organise a ride from sufficient numbers, this will be my last one, I have been running them for almost 6 years now but interest is getting less despite increases in membership, cannot work it out.

D

Deleted member 1258

I kept this ride as fixed gear, but one by one people are dropping out, I haven't heard from @mikeee since 31st March so have no idea if he is coming or not, if he isn't then that will be just three of us. Myself and dr_pink will ride whatever, but very disappointed, as Dave says:

Unless I get requests in the future to organise a ride from sufficient numbers, this will be my last one, I have been running them for almost 6 years now but interest is getting less despite increases in membership, cannot work it out.

I'm still up for this one, but like you I'm disappointed with the low numbers. Its sad but understandable that you're not planning on organizing any more rides, I would have understood if you'd pulled the plug on this one. I'm not sure exactly how many of your rides I've done but I've enjoyed them and enjoyed your company and enjoyed meeting other forum members.

Last edited by a moderator:

nickyboy

Norven Mankey

I have a large dollop of sympathy for your situation. Maybe a good idea would be to get some feedback from CC members who participate regularly in the very popular London-based rides? From a personal perspective there are two things stopping me joining your ride; I only have a geared bike and Oakham is a PITA to get to other than by car - driving to a ride seems to be lacking in adventure

I don't think there is anything intrinsically wrong with our rides because we used to get a decent turnout which has gradually dwindled, hell, we even do tea and cakes at the end which I believe is unique. The feeling is more of disappointment that there is a huge audience out there but not that interested in riding with others, yet many are quite happy to hand over as much as £50 to ride in these parts on a sportive, usually in ones and twos, quite bizarre.
Lots of people have driven to come on our rides, from Lancashire, Yorkshire, Cumbria, Suffolk and even the south coast and we have done the same a few times.
We put the rides on to showcase Rutland, the best cycling area for choice I have ever been to in the UK. Not that worried though, we are in a club and have many cycling friends, plus we always ride together which I guess is a better situation than most.

Top Bottom